190 or 180 rear

metric03

Registered
has any one gone from a 190 to a 180 rear for the street or track, i'm thinkin about the new bt-16, aside from the price difference would there be any REAL difference in riding, and life of the tire?

Yes, less contact patch with the 180, marginal (unnoticeable) difference in rotating mass.

If you are looking for twisty gear, try the 190/55 profile-definitely puts more rubber on the ground when it's leaned over.

Just read a review of the BT-16s in RacerX, said it was AWESOME. The softer compound on the edges got greasy when run to the limit at the track, but on the street gave awesome grip pushing it in the turns. On the street there is no way to get them as hot as at the track, non-issue. I might give them a shot next, been running Qualifiers for two years now...

Putting 16's on thr front and back today , I usaly run a 200 out back but will be going with the 190/55-16 this time

If you're looking for cheap, go 180/55.

If you wear the sides of your tire out first or would rather have the biggest contact patch on the side go 190/55.

If you wear the center of your tire out first, would rather have the biggest contact patch in the center, or just don't want to pay for the 190/55 stay stock at 190/50.

If you go 190/55, I recommend going up 1 tooth in the rear to compensate for the loss of acceleration due the tire being larger/taller.

I've been told right or wrong that going with the 180 on the strip will lay down a larger patch. I have no idea why, but that's what I was told.

You might specify, twisties, drag, or commuting

thanks for all the responses, sorry ive been away all weekend, i went and bought bt-021's they don't come in a 55 profile but for the winter i think they will wear better then the 16's. found a site that had both the 16's and 21's for under 250 shipped, not a sale either, just their price, i can't get to tracks so it's basicly commuting and backroad twisties for me, we'll see how they hold up until spring.

thanks for all the responses, sorry ive been away all weekend, i went and bought bt-021's they don't come in a 55 profile but for the winter i think they will wear better then the 16's. found a site that had both the 16's and 21's for under 250 shipped, not a sale either, just their price, i can't get to tracks so it's basicly commuting and backroad twisties for me, we'll see how they hold up until spring.

That 21 will take longer to warm up then the 16

yeah that's what ive hear, buy the time i get to anything fun i have already been riding for at least fifteen minutes, so i figure it wont be a big deal, i wanted to 16's but figured they wouldn't make it through a washington winter (i ride all year long), and was looking forward to the first track day next season.

Back