04 Serious Vibrations Problem

Biko69

Registered
I have a new 04 with about 600 miles on it. I have noticed that there is a serious harmonics vibration at between 4600-5100 rpm which equates to 90mph-106mph while riding in 6th gear. Every time I hit 90, it starts to humm and vibrate pretty bad. Almost feels like something is out of balance inside of the engine. It doesn't matter what gear I am in, just has to be between the certain RPM's so that eliminates a possible tire out of balance. Any one else have this issue? I might take it back to the dealership but I know I will get the run around....
Thanks for the help
Brian

it might be the one that tells you it is about to go real fast. take it by the dealer but I think the one you are talking about is the hold on i am aboput to go real fast vibration

its the warning for entering warp speed...

I felt that too...so I just opened her up and it all went away past 150 and smoothed out at around 170 LOL
laugh.gif
Be safe, take it to the dealer and have them check it out.
wink.gif

My '04 has increased vibrations in that range but it's a modest increase and not worrisome. I just had mine dynoed last weekend on an Eddy Current dyno; 141.7 (+15% correction factor = 163 Dynojet) at 10000, bone stock. Another '04 at the same time was almost identical. A friend's '03 is about the same. Are the newer bikes making a little more power than the older ones?

My '04 has increased vibrations in that range but it's a modest increase and not worrisome. I just had mine dynoed last weekend on an Eddy Current dyno; 141.7 (+15% correction factor = 163 Dynojet) at 10000, bone stock. Another '04 at the same time was almost identical. A friend's '03 is about the same. Are the newer bikes making a little more power than the older ones?
yep 03-04 make that much about 174 with a good pipe and map

Yup...normal.  Found it happens between 85-95mph (indicated) in 6th gear cruising the highway.
Solution #1: between 85-95mph, ride it in 5th gear
Solution #2: ride slower than 85mph in 6th gear
Solution #3: ride FASTER than 95mph in 6th gear

I find that I take solution #3 FAR more than #1 or #2!!!

Since there's not much noticable difference in RPM between 5th and 6th, I might elect to be in 5th in this vibration zone. But I can't say I've noticed the vibration before. I'm on a '03

You see this is why I love this website. I've only had my '04 for a little over a month and have just gotten it back from the 500 mile service. Naturally I have carefully followed the break-in procedure but was very concerned by what I felt was a significant engine vibration in exactly this RPM range (whatever gear, whatever speed).
This bike is so smooth I felt something had to be wrong but the guys in my local shop (who happen to be good friends and have never steered me wrong) said (like you all) that this was a normal event. Kind of like breaking the sound barrier, I guess.
Hearing it from so many people here just reinforces it.

Thanks all.

I Had "the vibe" on my old ST1100 and it went away when I changed the pipe (a little less exhaust restriction)

Any of you serious pilots, with full or just bolt-on's, feel "the vibe"?

firedevil.gif

I got the same on my '03. Puttin on exhaust and others now, will see if it changes.

<!--EDIT|mctrull
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083114392 -->

Hi Corroded,
               My 03 has the vibe in that 4500-5100 rev range, with standard cans and with Yoshi bolt ons.
I believe its just a stray harmonic from the ballance shaft, virtually every Busa seems to have it.
I wouldnt call it alarming, I think it stands out a little because the rest of the rev range is so smooth. Its never really bothered me, a quick twist of the wrist and it simply goes away!

Cheers

wink.gif

Ross

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083117128 -->

Back