02 Busa jerks on 2nd gear

Boogie44

Registered
I have this 02 Busa I bought that when I’m riding easy in all gears it’s fine it if I take 2nd gear to like 5000 rpm , it just jumps or it feels like it jerks but it’s only on the gear and this is my 2nd Busa with the same problem

*BUMP*
2003 stock motor/sprockets. Sprockets, clutch plates, and fluids all less than 2 years old. Chain has appropriate slack and oil. 91 pump gas + various fuel/injector cleaners for the last 3 tanks.
I hold 2nd gear at 5k RPM, raise it to 9K quickly, but keep the front wheel down. Feels like the whole bike stops for .002 seconds somewhere round 6-7k RPM, but then continues without an issue...scary shudder for that tiny moment though:shocked:

*BUMP*
2003 stock motor/sprockets. Sprockets, clutch plates, and fluids all less than 2 years old. Chain has appropriate slack and oil. 91 pump gas + various fuel/injector cleaners for the last 3 tanks.
I hold 2nd gear at 5k RPM, raise it to 9K quickly, but keep the front wheel down. Feels like the whole bike stops for .002 seconds somewhere round 6-7k RPM, but then continues without an issue...scary shudder for that tiny moment though:shocked:
If it only does it in 2nd then it sounds like the dreaded Busa trans issue. I don't know what it is but it seems Suzuki just can't build a trans as well as the other guys,for a lot of models. It's a costly major job and if yer gonna go in there I'm sure most would agree to replace it with a cut gear and change out what it meshes with.(window or mirror gear) It will lessen the chance of it happening again. I tell all the newbies to slam it hard from 1st to 2nd and 5th to 6th. I believe it's tentative shifting that reeks havoc on the semi poorly engineered trans. Could be wrong,IDK. I have only blown the 1st to 2nd shift a couple of times in near 20 years on Busa's and it ain't pretty. It's so ingrained in my brain to slam it hard that the other day I was riding and got caught in a bit of rain, had wet boots,wet seat,wet leathers and I was twisting it hard (I know) anyway I up shifted hard,boot slipped off the shifter,butt slid to the right on the seat and I damb near came off... :laugh:
The pucker factor was a Level 10.
May be somebody has a better answer. Sorry for the longwinded B.S.
Rubb.
Ha! 6 years after joining and you make your first post! Well done. . . That’s a long time in the shadows my friend :rolleyes:
No intro?...no pics?... "Hey,Brother" @Sandow
whistle.gif

We are bad Kiwi...very bad. Well I am anyway.
Rubb.

rofl.gif

Second gear needs to be undercut!
If you do the job yourself, with machining the gears, and parts, it's under $500 complete
A shop will charge $1500 to $2k
Not for BlueBacon or Boogie44 John as they have Gen I's but what do you think of the mod of swapping out the forks on Gen II's for the Gen I's as they are apparently better? Mine were switched out at birth. (zero mile motor) along with all race-cut gears.
Rubb.

*BUMP*
I'm sorry BlueBacon...you bumped this thread...my bad.
Let's get to the bottom of this...

boob bump.gif

Rubb.

Not for BlueBacon or Boogie44 John as they have Gen I's but what do you think of the mod of swapping out the forks on Gen II's for the Gen I's as they are apparently better? Mine were switched out at birth. (zero mile motor) along with all race-cut gears.
Rubb.
I would have to look, i have never heard of this. The shift forks are usually ok, unless the the shift shafts are bent. Or the rider rides the shift lever with his boot. Ive done dozens of trannys, and they are usually only second gear need to be re cut/ repaired. and all the gaskets to go along with the job.

I'm sorry BlueBacon...you bumped this thread...my bad.
Let's get to the bottom of this...

View attachment 1628480

Rubb.
I don't mind the distraction :D
The slip/shudder/jerk is only in high RPM 2nd gear...nothing happens in 3rd and I can rev to the red without an issue in N or pulling the clutch lever.
How long she will last before the engine/tranny has to be pulled is the next question... :(

The slip/shudder/jerk is only in high RPM 2nd gear...nothing happens in 3rd and I can rev to the red without an issue in N or pulling the clutch lever.
How long she will last before the engine/tranny has to be pulled is the next question... :(
There's no load on the gear in neutral or with the clutch engaged so that's irrelevant to diagnosis.
How long will she last...
dunno.gif
I don't think the Busa Gods themselves could accurately answer that Q. You can definitely prolong the inevitable by banging harder up into 2nd and then taking it easy with the go fast button. Just dont crank on the throttle in second bouncing it off the rev limiter.:laugh: Could last a while,me...I'd do it sooner than later.
Maybe somebody will chime in with...
"Well mines been like that for years with no issue."
Things like that get said a fair bit for all sorts of issues. You being in FLA you prolly dont really have an off-season so I'd get to it soon. I've never heard of one blowing up and shredding the whole tranny,but somebody might have a horror story. Sorry my man...I can't give a definitive answer I'm comfortable with.
Rubb.

As of now the gears are rounded over, as you continue to ride it and hit the shudder spot the ends begin to break off and chip.
How long will it last, who knows, i just did one a few months ago that's an 2002 with 65k on the clock, and it just started do it.
My 04 had 3k on it when i fixed it.

As of now the gears are rounded over, as you continue to ride it and hit the shudder spot the ends begin to break off and chip.
How long will it last, who knows, i just did one a few months ago that's an 2002 with 65k on the clock, and it just started do it.
My 04 had 3k on it when i fixed it.
Mine doesn't even have 30k yet, but I regularly keep her below 6k RPM. Just had a wild hair and decided to leave it in 2nd on my out of the merge lane to feel the power band for a change and discovered this :( Better now than later when/if I actually needed the "get-up-and-go"...
There's no load on the gear in neutral or with the clutch engaged so that's irrelevant to diagnosis.
How long will she last...View attachment 1628896 I don't think the Busa Gods themselves could accurately answer that Q. You can definitely prolong the inevitable by banging harder up into 2nd and then taking it easy with the go fast button. Just dont crank on the throttle in second bouncing it off the rev limiter.:laugh: Could last a while,me...I'd do it sooner than later.
Maybe somebody will chime in with...
"Well mines been like that for years with no issue."
Things like that get said a fair bit for all sorts of issues. You being in FLA you prolly dont really have an off-season so I'd get to it soon. I've never heard of one blowing up and shredding the whole tranny,but somebody might have a horror story. Sorry my man...I can't give a definitive answer I'm comfortable with.
Rubb.
Yup! Practically no off season here, but still get's in the 20's(F) where I am. I usually won't ride below 40*F because my hands go numb in the wind, but that's about it. Since it is only occurring at high RPM/load (for now), I guess my plan (and prayer) is to save up and baby her for another year...pull the engine and crack it open over next winter.
Maybe ride to a "nearby" member with the right tools and know-how over a weekend. :rolleyes:

Mine doesn't even have 30k yet, but I regularly keep her below 6k RPM. Just had a wild hair and decided to leave it in 2nd on my out of the merge lane to feel the power band for a change and discovered this :( Better now than later when/if I actually needed the "get-up-and-go"...

Yup! Practically no off season here, but still get's in the 20's(F) where I am. I usually won't ride below 40*F because my hands go numb in the wind, but that's about it. Since it is only occurring at high RPM/load (for now), I guess my plan (and prayer) is to save up and baby her for another year...pull the engine and crack it open over next winter.
Maybe ride to a "nearby" member with the right tools and know-how over a weekend. :rolleyes:
Where do you live?

If you went that route I would double or even triple your oil change frequency,mostly to check for shrapnel (bits in yer oil). You could use a lower cost,but still quality oil and do the filter each time too.Like if it was me I would switch from the Amsoil I normally use (17 bucks a qt in this neck of the woods) to say Motul or something which I can get in bulk for like 6 a qt. Well actually if it was me,with my EXTREME paranoia that thing would be on my bench apart as we speak.
Where do you live?
Was there about to be an offer thrown out there John? :thumbsup:
Northwest FL, west of Tallahassee. I'll throw out a post when I have days off again...working all 7days at 118hrs per week since September :crazy:
I'd rather travel and throw some cash to a competent member than one of the questionable shops around me...plus then I get some working experience on the beauty!
If you could line-up a guy like GIXXERHP for the job that would be way cool. I would trust that man 100%. I dont know how long he has been wrenching bikes but I think he has about 20 years on Busa. There's a few of us still on the board that joined up about 18 years ago and still post fairly regularly and he is one of the "long standing" members whose opinion I highly value.
Yer smart Blue', just take it easy on her,lay off the go fast button.:race:
Rubb.

If you went that route I would double or even triple your oil change frequency,mostly to check for shrapnel (bits in yer oil). You could use a lower cost,but still quality oil and do the filter each time too.Like if it was me I would switch from the Amsoil I normally use (17 bucks a qt in this neck of the woods) to say Motul or something which I can get in bulk for like 6 a qt. Well actually if it was me,with my EXTREME paranoia that thing would be on my bench apart as we speak.

Was there about to be an offer thrown out there John? :thumbsup:

If you could line-up a guy like GIXXERHP for the job that would be way cool. I would trust that man 100%. I dont know how long he has been wrenching bikes but I think he has about 20 years on Busa. There's a few of us still on the board that joined up about 18 years ago and still post fairly regularly and he is one of the "long standing" members whose opinion I highly value.
Yer smart Blue', just take it easy on her,lay off the go fast button.:race:
Rubb.
Thanks Rubb!

@rubbersidedown There's an older guy just north of my city that I can order Amsoil through at $11.40+tax/shipping per qt. I was going to change to it after winter, but I guess that needs to be expedited now.
I have the money saved for the parts (yay, budgeting), but I have zero time off right now. Once I have days off again, I will definitely throw a post up and plan a mechanic's date if anyone is willing!
Right now, I may have days off again starting at Christmas...so the fastest this is going to happen would be late January.

Back