I FAILED AS A PARENT TODAY

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
SON WRECKED TODAY

Some of you have seen my son's pics on his little bike. Well today he was riding in the street which he seems to enjoy more than the grass or dirt. All he had on was a helmet shorts and a T with clogs. I told him to come put some shoes on and explained the dangers of wearing flip flop type shoes but DID NOT TELL HIM TO PUT JEANS ON. I almost did but he only rides in the court and the bike doesn't go terribly fast due to it being electric. Well he has been cutting it pretty close in his leaning too far. The neighbors were watching but I was on here reading posts. My wife yells at me to go check on Christian cause he wrecked!! The neighbors were already on the scene helping him. they said they were watching him cause he looked like a pro out there leaning into all his turns but he got too low one time and his left peg hit the ground and caused him to lowside at about 10 - 15 mph.

Due to him only wearing shorts he got a nice rasberry (pic to follow)

I told him this is why I always tell him to wear jeans BUT THIS TIME I DIDN'T

Now he is going through the samething we go through after a spill....scared to ride anymore.

FLAME AWAY I DESERVE IT

HE IS TRYING TO SMILE

2665505499_74aac50faf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Live and learn. There are times where I think about going no jeans in the heat. It just takes discipline. This may be the thing that always brings it to mind for him. Maybe a small raspberry will save him from a worse injury later.

This little lesson may save him when he gets older and rides a street bike. Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way.

Live and learn.  There are times where I think about going no jeans in the heat.  It just takes discipline.  This may be the thing that always brings it to mind for him.  Maybe a small raspberry will save him from a worse injury later.
that's the only thing that makes me feel better.

Glad he's OK, Chris! It'll sting for a bit, but will heal.

What I can't believe is you said "I was on here reading posts."

Dood - you're never just reading posts!
poke.gif

The whole incident will turn out to be a good thing...that sting he's experiencing will do more to cement the riding gear advice in his head than any mere words could have.
beerchug.gif

First thing you do is tell him it goes with the territory. Next, I should of had you change clothes but I neglected to do so.

With that said next week we are going to buy you some protective gear.

Glad he is OK. He will bruise again whether on a bike or not. Kids do that ya know.
thumb_up.gif

r8

The whole incident will turn out to be a good thing...that sting he's experiencing will do more to cement the riding gear advice in his head than any mere words could have.
beerchug.gif
that is true. I can tell him 10x and he won't pay a lick of attn. But 1 raspberry and he'll never forget.

Oh man, sorry Chris. You hate to see that kind of stuff happen to your little ones, but at least it was minor and he may have learned the reason we wear gear. Glad he is ok bro.
beerchug.gif

First thing you do is tell him it goes with the territory. Next, I should of had you change clothes but I neglected to do so.

With that said next week we are going to buy you some protective gear.

Glad he is OK. He will bruise again whether on a bike or not. Kids do that ya know.  
thumb_up.gif

r8
yep that is pretty much my talk with him. The worst part was when I was telling him why he has to wear shoes I almost told him to put some on when I sent him to put shoes on.
banghead.gif
I played it all down in my head thinking he's never wrecked for 1. 2 even if he did no faster than these can go, he's not gonna get SERIOUSLY injured. BUT I still wish this would have been avoided and could have been.

a HUGE lesson for he and I.

Please don't beat yourself up. We as parents always have the best intentions, but don't always do what we are supposed to.

Take myself for instance. Three weeks ago I went to a friend's house to visit after she had a baby. Her daughter and Anastasia are the best of friends. She answers the door and out comes "demon" dog. I thought he was just being jumpy, but in fact had bitten her. Good too. Did I shoo him away.....NO. I didn't see the bite and couldn't figure out what the heck she was whining about.

I felt like crap! It was all my fault...I could have prevented it.

Well, today you can barely see the bite (thank god) and she laughs it off now.

He will fall again....eventually. Next time he'll have the gear he needs though.

99 My HEART goes out for you because I KNOW how you feel!!!

Thanksgiving '06 my sister came home from Phoenix for Christmas....only she brought some go cart thingy for "Ian" to ride on. I was TOTALLY against his riding in this go cart! (I've seen road rash from a bike wreck)
I went upstairs at my mom's house and get in the shower, I barely get the shampoo in and I hear my lil guy screaming bloody murder downstairs. My sister was riding him around in that go cart and they took a turn way too fast and turned it on it's side sliding across the asphalt!!! Lil guy had road rash on both sides of his legs, the rocks had cut his scalp, his nose and cheek were rashed...I FELT LOW! If I had stood my ground he wouldn't have been hurt! All I could do was hug him and help with the boo boo's. He will be 5 and still has the scars. I want to say this stuff happens, but I still blame myself all the time!
After all my rambling...don't beat yourself up too much!!!

Back