Looking for a good torque Wrench...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
I'm looking, doing my reading online... I know A beam type isn't going to be too handy, so I am looking for an accurate click type... But Damn, Do I trust Craftsman with a torque wrench?

I found this... Which might be usefull...

Seriously, anyone have a solid recommendation?

Craftman's torque wrenches are good. i have both a craftsmans and a Snap-on torque wrench and they both seem to have about the same readings.

Craftman's torque wrenches are good. i have both a craftsmans and a Snap-on torque wrench and they both seem to have about the same readings.[/QUOTE]

Rev - I've tried several different ones and this is my favorite (they claim 3% accuracy):  

bdm.com

I've had no issues at all using it. Craftsman

Craftsman makes good stuff. The other feature you may want to look at is the RANGE. The torque specs on bolts varies anywhere from 17 ft-lbs to 150 ft-lbs. There's probably lower/higher requirements, so you get the largest range you can.

Good luck.

I have a craftsmen, but I thought there was a thread about torque wrenches and the end-verdict was that craftsmen were no good. I'll dig it up later.

I have 2 Craftsman torque wrenches and haven't had any issues with them.

Yeah, Snake... That's why I am hesitating with a Craftsman Torque Wrench... I read that they are wildly inaccurate. I start believing this when I check out Snap-On and other professional tool retailers and see that their Torque wrenchs are 3-4 times the price of a Craftsman. I mean, is everyone else selling overpriced smoke and mirrors? Or is an accurate torque wrench that hard to come by...?

I dunno, The other part of this little venture is that to cover all the fasteners on the Busa you will need at least two torque range wrenches...

I'll worry more about the specifics later. I am not horribly concerned about 90% of the fasteners on the Busa, But I am going to be messing with the tripple clamp, the forks, and the front axle. These are Items I do not feel comfortable just getting "Good-N-Tight"... I want them to be accurate...

Thanks for the help thus far folks... I'll keep looking and if all else fails I'll just buy a Craftsman and be done with it...

Torque Wench? Hmm....I never heard of those before. Kinda pricey for a woman, don't ya think? $200...wow.

Torque wench...torque wench...hmm. I still can't say I've heard of them. Are they at lesat shaved?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

revlis,

I found it:

Posted: Jan. 02 2004,14:42  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (Narcissus @ Jan. 02 2004,6:01)
Craftsman is the best way to go. You'll notice a 20-250 torque wrench next to my hump on the wall in the pic, above my metric Allen T-wrench set.  

Hate to say this but my Uncle does calibration for a living and guess what.
I threw YES threw away all my crafstman torque wrenchs due to how far off they get quickly.
do yourself a favor and get a snap-on well worth the money

-------------------------------

In thread:

---------------------------------

I own all Craftsman tools including their 60 dollar torque. I have been happy with all tools, however I must admit, I've been a little paranoid bout my torque since reading his post. Now, I don't know if it's just someone rationizing spending 300 or so bucks on his torque wrench or not. I don't know of an easy way to test the accuracy, but for now I'll trust im my craftsman. Given how few times I actually use the torque, I'll stick with the moderately priced tools. Hopefully, I won't lose parts going 170
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|thesnake
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092020505 -->

And as a bonus, the thread mentioned how quickly they fall out of spec... Sounds to me like I will just buy a Craftsman, it should be accurate enough initially. Maybe I'll buy a Craftsman, and rent a Snap-on, compare the two accuracy wise. Hell I can just buy Craftsman then just take it back when I am done... Repeat as needed... Hell Sears is close...
laugh.gif

That settles it, Craftsman it is, at least for now. If I ever get REAL serious about doing my own work, I'll worry about the SNAP_ON tools then...

Thanks for the decision help folks...

Back