How necessary is a torque wrench?

After you torque a fastener, it's never a bad idea to go back in a few and check it again either.

is a torque wrench used mostly for not over tightening or not under tightening or both?

IMO it would be both. That's why manufacturers have torque specs to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO it would be both. That's why manufacturers have torque specs to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I never used a torque wrench before but am now understanding the importance of one:thumbsup:

I highly recommend. Use mine ALL the time. Before buying, look at the range options; I ended up having to have 2 (one for really light values, and another one for that 78 ft/lbs. for the rear axel bolt...

They don't put all those torque values in the service manual for nuthin :thumbsup:

I torque EVERYTHING... Its all fun and games until your wheel wheel passes you going down the highway..

I highly recommend. Use mine ALL the time. Before buying, look at the range options; I ended up having to have 2 (one for really light values, and another one for that 78 ft/lbs. for the rear axel bolt...

They don't put all those torque values in the service manual for nuthin :thumbsup:

72.5 ft lbs
Posted via Mobile Device

I suggest getting a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch drive click torque wrench. I'm in the military and by installation manual required theres a torque required for all use on military aircraft hardware. Same technique i use to save my life at work and combat i apply at home in my garage. Torques are there for a reason. 18.5 yrs of service, 15years of crewing Army helicopters and 3 yrs 24K + miles of riding motorcycles i don't deviate from manufactuers specs or cut corners. Call me anal if you want but that's ok i'm still alive and here to reply to this thread.

I have torque wrenches they're very handy. There's really only a few bolts that I follow the torque guidlines. Not critical bolts never see my torque wrench. Over time you get very familiar with the bolts on your bike and may not use a torque wrench on them all the time.

knock on wood, I don't ham fist things and haven't stripped any when not using a torque wrench.

Also important to read in-lbs instead of ft-lbs. I pitty the poor bastard that tries to take the exhaust head bolts off my old harley. The book said like 50 in-lbs, I read ft-lbs.... :rofl:

It all depends on your experience. If you take your bike to a professional shop, they don't torque every bolt. Engine work, where heat expansion takes effect, it is critical to use a torque wrench, with experience, other places it really does not matter once you have developed the feel for it.

Remember, even with the greatest torque wrench out there, a lot of external factors affect torque. For instance, if you torque the rear wheel axle nut with a bit of grease on the threads to what the book says, you will over-torque by about 30% and may stretch the threads a bit. Torque it absolutely clean and dry, 72.5 lb ft will be right, but every time you do this, you scuff the threads. So, long story short, I grease the nut and tighten by feel.

Torque values are a good thing to do, if you are not used to wrenching, but remember normal industry values are developed on clean dry threads for factory assembly.

Back