How necessary is a torque wrench?

Two

Banned
I hear a lot it has to be torqued to this spec and that spec. Just wondering if you need a torque wrench to do certain tasks on the busa.

Very needed. I've broken a few bolts here and there which is really just a minor inconvenience but think of the importance of what you’re actually doing. You don't want to have fastener issues while traveling at a high rate of speed.

Yes you should use one...it is very easy to strip out bolts from over tightening. Also on some of the larger fasteners that aren't likely to strip out, you can do damage from parts being too tight.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have 2...an inch pound and a foot pound..but I tinker often.

Most things that recieve screws on our bikes are aluminum and it's easy to strip something out. Get two like bluehaya said. I've got two that do same as his. Amazing to see how little 8ft lbs or 30inch lbs is.

Whats a good size torque wrench to get for the busa? or do you have to get a bunch of different torque wrenches with different torque for each wrench?

Occasionally, I use German torque specs: gut und tight. :laugh: Most of the time I use a torque wrench

You'll want 2. One that goes as low as 5 ft #s. One that goes over 150 ft #s. The smaller one should have overlap at its highest setting with the larger one at its lowest setting.

I hear a lot it has to be torqued to this spec and that spec. Just wondering if you need a torque wrench to do certain tasks on the busa.

:rulez:It's not neccessary at all if you have money, time, or the know how to fix stripped threads, intstall heli coils, remove broken bolts, or just replace ruined parts. Not to mention that most of the bolts are holding parts together that are seperating your tail from the asphalt.:poke:

Occasionally, I use German torque specs: gut und tight. :laugh: Most of the time I use a torque wrench

You'll want 2. One that goes as low as 5 ft #s. One that goes over 150 ft #s. The smaller one should have overlap at its highest setting with the larger one at its lowest setting.

Thats the funniest thing I have read all day. :rofl:

Harbor frieght on sale 19 bucks... Dont need percise just reasonable to keep ya from overtightning... I use it all the time... Takes out the guess work

I don't think I ever used a torque wrench before and i always try never to over tighten.

Some good useful posts here.

They are a good tool to have. Some service books say torque to XXX#'s if new and XXX#'s if reusing bolt.

Sometimes it is better to also replace the bolts with new ones becasue they are torque to yield...which means the threads are stretched in the process of being torqued...and if you try to reuse them them don't want to thread in nice and shear or tear up the threads in the hole.

in case you need a small one....

25.jpg

barcode.asp?b=50896182-001359549400000.jpg

i just bought a 3/8 and 1/2 torque wrenches so I can put my wheels on/ swap my forks. (still waiting on the 1/2 drive) i have snapped bolts on my 500 before so I tought it a smart idea to invest in a few....:whistle:

There are two types. The torsion type with the needle that stays put and the handle that bends. And the "Click" type. The torsion is a lot cheaper and easy to re calibrate. The down side you have to be looking straight down on the wrench to see the torque value.

I spent the extra money (harbor freight negates cost issue) and bought the "Click" type. I find it easier to use. Just pull till it clicks. Or when your arm pops out of the socket which ever comes first. If you always back the setting off you will hand it down to your kids. Don't use it to back off bolts that is what a breaker bar is for.:rulez:

I use mine all the time, even if you have a calibrated elbow.

Back