My Busa Overhaul

Re: Need some helpful tips on removing my engine

So, I'm starting the job tomorrow. Pics will follow. I dont' have a book right now but I'm gonna try to get one during installation. Anyone got a list of part #'s of the HAZMAT items needed?

I have taken a Busa motor out about 4 times so far and all have been by myself. It is tricky. There has to be a better way to do it than whatI do, but I put my rear up on a stand and the front on a stand, but I still need about 2 more inches of clearance to get the motor out from under with my jack.

Once I took the front wheel off and it made more room, but I still had to lift the front of the bike and move it off the motor and about dropped it off the rear stand.

I would suggest using 2 people. Once you get the motor unbolted and lowered on a jack. Person 2 can lift up teh fron of the bike and person 1 can drag the motor out.

I Use 2 boards under the oil pan to level the motor...or you can balance it on the drain area, but stand a chance to chip the front flange.

Pull the chain off the front sprocket before you set the bike up to pull the motor, it is alot easier to get the chain off when you can move the rear wheel :banghead: .

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_4643.jpg

Bad ass BlueHaya! Thanks for the pics too! That really does help! I like the way you did the cardboard as well for no confusion. Thanks bud!

Check it check it and check it!
On a Ford? Yes. Chevy? Definitely! Dodge? Not my fave but I can. The Busa? Never done it before but any tips you got will help this first timer. OH, and I also degreed the tiny two lobe cam on my son's 4 wheeler lol

For reassembly if a bolt starts getting tight and the torque wrench says keep going...think twice...there is a oem bond for the eng cases and there is also permatex ultra...blk / grey depending on what it is exposed to. Without knowing dialing in the cams...degree wheel and other dial indicators keeps me from tearing apart the top half.

here is a good link...more than 1 video if you search around
Hayabusa Teardown - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm watching Tombo in action right now. Love that guy

Just finished the 5 part hayabusa engine build saga from Tombo and everything seems pretty much the same as building a normal engine. Only thing I'm doubting myself on is the cam degreeing. If any of ya'll are around Clovis NM, and want to drop in and help during the rebuild, by all means Come On! I got plenty o' Corona and if you don't like that I can prolly find something you do! LOL.

Really though, I think this will be fun and edumacational. Yay! :cheerleader: Here we go!

KEEP POSTING TIPS!

No more tips until i get my plane ticket for free Beer!
Just finished the 5 part hayabusa engine build saga from Tombo and everything seems pretty much the same as building a normal engine. Only thing I'm doubting myself on is the cam degreeing. If any of ya'll are around Clovis NM, and want to drop in and help during the rebuild, by all means Come On! I got plenty o' Corona and if you don't like that I can prolly find something you do! LOL.

Really though, I think this will be fun and edumacational. Yay! :cheerleader: Here we go!

KEEP POSTING TIPS!

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: THERE YA GO! No plane ticket needed! LOL

..another thing to think about while you have the head off is to install time serts, so you will have better plug threads.

Update: Here's what I've done today. Tomorrow a buddy is coming to help pull the motor out. I can't believe how far I've gotten though. Any idea on how to make the socket for the lock-nuts? Or a way to get them out with out f-ing them up?

100_2009.jpg

100_2010.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_2012.jpg

100_2013.jpg

100_2014.jpg

100_2015.jpg

100_2016.jpg

100_2017.jpg

100_2018.jpg

100_2019.jpg

100_2020.jpg

100_2021.jpg

100_2022.jpg

100_2023.jpg

100_2024.jpg

100_2025.jpg

100_2026.jpg

100_2027.jpg

Here's some more to bog your computers down:

100_2028.jpg

100_2029.jpg

100_2030.jpg

100_2031.jpg

100_2032.jpg

100_2033.jpg

100_2034.jpg

100_2035.jpg

100_2036.jpg

Today is day two of the engine removal and today is the day that the engine comes out.

Any org members happen to have a cam degreeing kit I could borrow?

I know for one I certainly would watch a video even if I have the genuine suzuki workshop manual it always helps to watch it happen first time with your own eyes and so a video of your efforts is a fantastic idea.........:laugh:

Your post is really great so far....and good pictures of the process, keep them coming ......:please:

Here's the update! We got the motor out! Little bit of a pain in the ass but we got it! Everything is bagged (parts and hardware-wise) and I even made my own tool! Forgot to take pics of it but I will get it on here. Thanks again for all of the helpful tips ya'll! I REALLY appreciate it!

100_2038.jpg

100_2039.jpg

100_2040.jpg

100_2041.jpg

100_2042.jpg

100_2043.jpg

100_2044.jpg

100_2045.jpg

100_2046.jpg

100_2047.jpg

100_2048.jpg