new resto project - 78 KZ1000

johnnycrash

Donating Member
Registered
I've wanted one of these things since I was a little kid and first watched Mad Max. I've been haggling with a buddy over this bike for about ten years - he always said he was going to restore it, but meanwhile a decade has passed and it's only gotten rougher and rougher as it sat in the back of his garage. He finally let it go for $800 (he owed me $200 that I was never going to see so it only cost me $600 out of pocket).

This one is pretty rough cosmetically but it won't take much to get it running. Tank has been treated and is dent free and the wiring is in great shape (rare find on these things). Points have been replaced with CDI and it's got a new clutch.

The plan is a full frame off restoration over the winter. Eventually going to make it into an era-correct drag bike. Lowered, stretched, air shifter, and probably a built 1075cc motor with undercut tranny. I'm knee deep in rebuilding the brakes already.

IMG00103.jpg

newgirl2.jpg

I always wanted one of those myself! Loved to watch them at the drags. Cant wait to see your progress pix:thumbsup:

Great old bikes.:thumbsup:
When I lived in the McHenry Il. area back in the very early 80s, KZ750s and 1000s were the bike to have. They were everywhere and brand new at the time. You would get passed by herds of them, Kerker megs howling. Fastest bikes on the road at the time.

Nice project. I love old skool bikes. Probably cause thats when i grew up too. I just sold my 78 GS not too long ago. Done up like a street/drag bike. Have fun...

Nice...I bought a 78 KZ 400 for my winter project. They look pretty easy to work on.

Back