Oem undertail rear fender weight?

Ratlin’busa

Registered
Hi, does anyone know what the weight is of the OEM plastic undertail/rear fender on the Gen 1? Im wondering what the weight of that huge piece of plastic is.

TIA.

EA21E138-8AB4-42F2-AB80-DFA7EFDBF3E1.jpeg

Maybe a pound, if that, it is very thin and light weight.
Hmm, that’s odd. I’d think it weighs more. I emailed several sellers of them on eBay and so far 1 has gotten back just this morning. They said it weighs almost 8lbs. I’m hoping I hear back from the others to get a better consensus. An ABS Tiger tail for instance weighs only about 1lb and that’s just a thin sheet sheet of abs plastic. My aluminum Tiger tail is just shy of 2lbs. I’m putting my Gen 1 on a diet and am working on putting together a weight savings guide with specs of OEM parts Vs. aftermarket options. So that’s why I’m wanting to know.

Hmm, that’s odd. I’d think it weighs more. I emailed several sellers of them on eBay and so far 1 has gotten back just this morning. They said it weighs almost 8lbs. I’m hoping I hear back from the others to get a better consensus. An ABS Tiger tail for instance weighs only about 1lb and that’s just a thin sheet sheet of abs plastic. My aluminum Tiger tail is just shy of 2lbs. I’m putting my Gen 1 on a diet and am working on putting together a weight savings guide with specs of OEM parts Vs. aftermarket options. So that’s why I’m wanting to know.
Can any of the sellers weigh just the plastic and send you a picture of it on the scale?

Like @sixpack577 I can't see that plastic piece weighing 8lbs.....

Given how extensive the (drag) racing history is with this bike, I'm amazed no one ever put together a comprehensive list of what all the OEM parts weigh...strip the whole thing down, weigh each piece and catalog it.
That’s what I’m trying to do, I’ve seen some broken posts here and there for specific parts, but never a full comprehensive list. My bike already had some mods when I got it(like the under tail). And I’ve already done some other mods before I really got on this quest. But I’ll do what I can and try and get reliable info from others. I have a fresh scale on the way for more accurate readings.

It's been years since I had that out of a gen1, and the gen2's weighed nothing.
I remember them being alot alike.
Still, 8lbs seems high, oh well.
It surprises me also. I know it’s thick plastic and a good sized piece. Maybe some one else will chime in that has one laying around and can weigh it. And I have 3 other sellers I’m waiting to hear from, but I know it’s a big ask to get sellers to give weigh the stuff and pass the info along for what they’ll guess is no sale in the end. But I will keep trying. I wish there was a “used bike part shop/bike stripper” near me that I could pay for some time in their warehouse to get the numbers myself, but they are all out east, out west or up north and none near me.

That’s what I’m trying to do, I’ve seen some broken posts here and there for specific parts, but never a full comprehensive list. My bike already had some mods when I got it(like the under tail). And I’ve already done some other mods before I really got on this quest. But I’ll do what I can and try and get reliable info from others. I have a fresh scale on the way for more accurate readings.
Hi. How heavy are you getting into saving weight on you bike? I have done alot of things.

Hi. How heavy are you getting into saving weight on you bike? I have done alot of things.
Nothing super crazy for now, just as I come across the need to replace stuff or find good deals on lighter parts I’ll move in that direction while staying in a reasonable budget. Stuff like carbon wheels is out of the question for me and this bike.
So far,
-Swapped on a set of vortex clip-ons with short levers and got rid of the oem upper tree, bars, weighted bar ends and levers.
-I’ve swapped the OEM wheel setup with a set of R1 wheels ect.
-I have a full aftermarket exhaust.
- I have a aluminum Tiger tail undertail.
-I’ll be installing a Montgomery Carbon Fiber headlight insert.
-I have a cut seat- I need to check and see if there’s any savings on that.
- I swapped out my OEM mirrors for those little hollow bullet mirrors- I’ll confirm those numbers.
-Removed the Pair valve stuff.
-Removed the passenger pegs/mounts.
I plan to also swap out the bulky rear sets, for a lighter setup. Then maybe swapping out some of the hardware for titanium stuff as it comes up.

You have any other easy idea to shave weight?

Just had one of those 2 sellers get back to me on the weight of the Gen2 under tray, they say it weighs in at 5lbs.

That's a big difference from 8lbs, for a piece of plastic.
I'de still be leary of that though, with them wanting to try justify shipping charges(which of course is out of their hands).
I'de still like to see one on an accurate scale.

Nothing super crazy for now, just as I come across the need to replace stuff or find good deals on lighter parts I’ll move in that direction while staying in a reasonable budget. Stuff like carbon wheels is out of the question for me and this bike.
So far,
-Swapped on a set of vortex clip-ons with short levers and got rid of the oem upper tree, bars, weighted bar ends and levers.
-I’ve swapped the OEM wheel setup with a set of R1 wheels ect.
-I have a full aftermarket exhaust.
- I have a aluminum Tiger tail undertail.
-I’ll be installing a Montgomery Carbon Fiber headlight insert.
-I have a cut seat- I need to check and see if there’s any savings on that.
- I swapped out my OEM mirrors for those little hollow bullet mirrors- I’ll confirm those numbers.
-Removed the Pair valve stuff.
-Removed the passenger pegs/mounts.
I plan to also swap out the bulky rear sets, for a lighter setup. Then maybe swapping out some of the hardware for titanium stuff as it comes up.

You have any other easy idea to shave weight?
Our man @c10 went nuts reducing weight on his gen 2 RJ.....he had a comprehensive list of all the weight savings he did...

Back