Do you always use both brakes?

Do you always use both brakes when stopping?

• YES

Votes: 209 50.6%
  • NO

Votes: 204 49.4%

• Total voters
I use my bikes breaks as a good way to practice my repair skills with duct tape.

:whistle:

cheers
ken

I put the front brake on first, followed by the back. as I approach a bend I ease off the front, tip her in, and ease on the gas with the back brake still on (this smoothes out any cack handedness on the throtle) then of course its off the brake as the rest of the throtle is fed in. I also shift my body weight, but my arse stays where it belongs.
Best wishes from Preston (thats half way between Oasis and the Beetles)

I use my bikes breaks as a good way to practice my repair skills with duct tape.

:whistle:

cheers
ken

What a Hoon!:laugh:

I use my front brake when I am going forward, and my back brake when I am in reverse! :rofl:

Am I thread jacking again? It's all your fault kml!

Bubba da breaker!

What the point of a back brake when the rear wheel is 2" off the tarmac...................:whistle:

Well i read all the pages of this thread and i can say i definitely learned a few things.. I definitely use both brakes but my riding is strickly street driving.. After reading this makes me want to use the front brakes more and practice stopping.. Many mixed opinions but i agree that the rear brakes should be applied as an added bonus along with the front brakes for more stopping power and in proper riding conditions but definitely not the rear brakes by themselves..

I don't drag, so I wouldn't have the first idea about that but riding around town I use the front brakes 90% of the time. I can feel when the fronts aren't slowing me down quick enough and I'll use the rears to give me the extra stopping power. If I have to stop quickly, I will def. use both but of course too much pressure too quick on the rear will lock it up which to me is no fun.

The riders who never use the rear brake, will eventually dump their bike in a parking lot. Both brakes need to be used properly. :whistle:

If you have a long dirt bike history, you don't think about braking, it happens automatically.

There are times when you don't want to use the front brake, such as hitting a patch of diesel at a stop light. If your front wheel locks up on loose stuff, there is no time to think, getting off the front brake has to be a reflex action.

Then again, there are places where locking up the rear wheel can really get you into trouble.

Listen to Uncle Steve, he knows.

Last edited:
I use my front brakes for 90% of my riding.
I use the rear brake when I can see water/moss/oil/paint/gravel/leaves/dirt/etc on the road. (I had a spill a few years ago because I touched my front brakes at 5km/h while going over a gravel patch.)
I only use the two together for emergency stops, although I probably should get into the habit of combining them more often.

maybe a bit off topic, but my 1st gen busa front brake "jiggles" around when I apply solid pressure on the brake lever. It feels almost like what you'd expect from warped rotors. Any idea?

I use my front and rear brakes @ all times except if I am in a sharp to semi-sharp turn and not sure of what is on the surface of the road. I then only use my rear brake easily, and most generally I am traveling pretty slow when I do this!

IF I can do it safely, I use just the back brake. Serveral reasons:
It is harder to clean the front wheel than the rear. Yes I am lazy.
The front also has twice as many parts as the rear. 2 sets of rotors, 2 calipers, 2 sets of pads. That equals Twice the cost to replace when they are worn down. Yes I am cheap.
I also use to down shift to slow down. But it is cheaper and easier to replace brake parts compared to clutch parts.

I hope you are not serious?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I only use both brakes when Iam going to run into Stuff :whistle:
when I let off the front and swing the ass in around and then
do a dismount and then :please:

IF I can do it safely, I use just the back brake. Serveral reasons:
It is harder to clean the front wheel than the rear. Yes I am lazy.
The front also has twice as many parts as the rear. 2 sets of rotors, 2 calipers, 2 sets of pads. That equals Twice the cost to replace when they are worn down. Yes I am cheap.
I also use to down shift to slow down. But it is cheaper and easier to replace brake parts compared to clutch parts.[/QUOT

I am with you. I use back brake as much as possible, for all the above reasons.

It's real hard to use the front when it's not on the ground very much :batman:

i know this is an old thread but i deided to give my i opinion...
i have a custom 04 busa and wrecked it last night by using the front brake only.
migh have been my fault for maybe squeezing the lever to hard/quickly
but none the less the front wheel locked up and slide right and i went left.
pick up in front of me stopped either hard or i just wasnt payin attention. truthfully dont know which it was but the out come
was bike obviously ended up on its left side and i ended up my well i dont even know how i landed but i know everything on my left side is hurting today.erybody has one.
i vote for use both breaks 60 rear and 40 front just in my opinion tho. of course opinions are like buttholes,everybody has one.
safety first koolness second!!!

Back