Formal Mortorcycle Training - Who has & Who has not?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I was reading an article in Motorcyclist Mag this morning called "Paying it Forward". The point of the article was about seasoned riders mentoring the new riders coming into the sport. Good read with ideas on how to engage with new riders in order to help them along the learning curve.

The following quote from the article I found disturbing:

There are risks in any activity, but motorcycling's risks can be managed. We can improve on some embarrassing statistics: 25 percent of all crash victims are unlicensed, 36 percent had alcohol in their system and a whopping 51 percent of current riders have never taken a formal training course.

So my question is: How many of us in the busa community have or have not engaged in formal rider training of some sort? Also post up how many (if any) crashes you have survived?

When I went through the MSF Instructor Program we were told that only one of every ten students who participated in the MSF BRC (Basic Rider Course) would ever engage in any further training once they received their endorsement.

I think it would be beneficial to all of us to see how many has had formal training and who has learned on their own.

I have 22 years on the street and 32 years on two wheels. I have never had any formal training or taken any classes. I have listened to and followed a lot of really good advice over the years. (And still do) On the street I have went down twice. The first time I had about 6 months experience (on the street) and hit sand in a curve at low speed and the rear tire washed out. The second time was last year when I hit a deer running 70. There had been many close calls but the good Lord has taken pretty good care of me. As far as off road goes there is no telling how many times I have went down but with MX that's just the nature of the beast.

I learned to ride in the dirt. No formal training at that point, but I lived for my copies of Motocross Action and Dirt Bike. I took all the advice that was written. Later I subscribed to Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Cycle and Cycle Guide. Again, lots of good advice for the pavement which I used when I got my license.

I read Twist of the Wrist cover to cover and Soft Science when it came out, but by that point had been to California Superbike School and Peguin Road Racing School. I later tool the MSF course. I was scolded by the instructors. I didn't want to tell them I had any experience or prior schooling, but my ex shouted out - "He has experience!" Worst thing she could have ever said.

I grew up riding dirt bikes (minibike, YZ 100, YZ 125, YZ 400, Dr250, and a few others) starting at about 9 years old. Wanted a Ninja et al since they came out, but figured I would end up in a tree. Rode and took care of a few street bikes for friends and family over the years (without any training). Figured I was grown up enough by the time I was 35 to get a street bike for myself. That paired with the realization that life aint gonna last forever, so I better start doing the things I really want to do before I pass! (Is that called mid life crisis?! - if so, it started at 19! When will it end!!!)
I took a basic rider course only because it is required in my state. Glad I did. I actually learned some stuff. Bought a C50, then a M109R, then an Interceptor, then my Big Yeller Bus! (Kept the 9 too of course).
I have been looking for an advanced/race school locally to keep learning. I am planning on hitting the track sometime this next winter (Florida!) to hopefully learn some stuff that just migt save my azz one day.
Have yet to have an incident on the street, but as nosbig said, I can't count how many times I have replaced levers on my dirt bikes!
Troy

Without the intent to hijack....any reputable advanced or track courses in Central Florida that anyone would recommend? The cheaper, the better chance I have of convincing the lil woman!!!

None. Ever in 40 years of riding...however, with the help of what have become some really solid friends (including the author of this thread), the learning i've gotten from riding on the track is immeasurable :)

When I started riding, over 50 years ago. no formal motorcycle training existed that I'm aware of. I have had two accidents. First, a driver turned left in front of me. I had the brake covered and slid into the car at low speed. My last low side was the result of a deer jumping out of the ditch while I was in a tight right hand turn. Gear saved my butt!

Lots of reading and lots of time in the saddle with good mentors. Good basic instincts and a careful nature. I took the MSF course and the advanced MSF course. One track day and 1 more coming this fall at NCBike again. 5 crashes, 4 slow speed "you dummy" types and 1 serious due to drunk driver crossing the line. I'm thinking about doing a vblog on street riding safety.

Have done both the BRC, ARC and several refresher courses as required by the military in 22 years of riding.

Even after 20 years of riding I learned quite a bit. I took the Police Motor Officer Course when I was transferred to the traffic unit.
The course was sponsored by the Orlando PD.

Robert: Jerome and I went to the same classes, we had a great time....

26 years , Received my CMRA license novice in 2010 , but never went further . Started @ 16 hiding my street bike in the woods from my parents .
Several early get offs with little to no injury . 1995 broke a leg dirt bike racing @ Reo Bravo ( houston Tx. ) 1997 a left turn failure to yield driver nearly killed me .
Broken hip / compound left leg tib/fib . 30 hyperbaric treatments to help heal wounds from breaking same leg from slip/fall during healing .
Hit/Kill TWO deer , but never went down either time . Last one I looped a ZRX @ 100 plus on a back road ( full gear ) walked away uninjured/scratched .
Cause was broken throttle cable @ throttle tube locking me in @ wide open . 400 pounds/ 150 hp it happened faster than I was prepared to react for .
I have read many motorcycle books over , and over .

zippo really. just the basic MSF course with 30 yrs riding experience. I agree tho anyone cud benefit from further training no matter how experienced u are or u think u are. I guess it depends on wat kinda track riding u like to do as well.

No formal training.
When I got my first bike in 1973, a Honda CB175, the guy in the shop just took me to a side street and taught me to ride.

Crashes, not my fault.
Hit from behind at a junction.
Dog ran out in front of me.
Woman drove the wrong way out of a one way turning. I hit her car.
Filtering past a line of traffic in London, taxi driver decided to turn right, knocked me off.
My cousin mucking about in front of me on his bike, he managed to touch my front tyre, I fell off.

My fault.
Riding home from work in the rush hour, taxi stops halfway across a pedestrian crossing, managed to clip his rear light and end up crashing into a lamp post.

No formal training.
I'm 38, riding dirtbikes since 12, streetbikes/sportbikes since 18, got a MC license at 23.
Did a couple yrs of 250B MX at 19 and 20. Some streetbike drag racing at local tracks(not really my thing).
I most definitely could benefit from a track day(road course, not drag), as it's been on my to-do list for a couple decades.
I don't think I could learn anything from a MC safety course, and have no interest in taking any.
I'm a hooligan, wheel up.

32 years of riding. No safety classes other then msc when i got my mc endorsement. I have been down 4 times. 2 on the street(sand in a slow corner, road washed out in another) the rest of my downs are off road on dirt bikes etc.

Ive been through four msf classes and mentor other riders when i get the oputunity. All perishable skills if not maintained through practice and further training. I actually renewed my sport bike class today after 3 years since the last one. I truly feel refreshed and have a good grasp of the braking cornering and emergency handling characteristics of the bike. The last time i took the class it was on a liter bike. I was very suprised at how well the bike stops and turns with repetetive practice. Even with a 8 inch stretch i damn near burned off the chicken strips and hit my foot a couple times. Luckily no hard parts or fairings hit.

I rode dirt bikes as a teen then took the basic msf course to get my license and later went back and too the experienced riders course.

Started riding in the dirt at 12 years old; that puts me at 36 years of riding. I started riding on the street when I turned 16, even though I had my first street bike the summer before. No formal course, but lots and lots of miles, and lots of reading, and practice. Also did a lot of time on two wheels on bicycles (road, cross-country, and some downhill racing).

Went down once when I was 17, sand in a corner, and washed out. No real damage to me or the bike. I basically try and ride like everyone is out to kill me. :)

I think taking a course is a great idea; although there were none available when I got my license. I just might take one here sometime soon; just for a refresh (I'll drag my wife with me as well); and honestly, just to correct any bad habits or issues I have.

MSF course in 2002, ART in 2013.

IMO the MSF, if required to obtain an endorsement would likely make a drastic cut to the number of accidents that happen to us. I think it especially true of the "not my fault" accidents.

The experience gained from operating bikes in the dirt/woods is great for learning to to operate a cycle. However, it provides little to nothing in preparing us for what is encountered on the street.

Back