HID's Rejected

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I went to a local bike shop here called Cycle World. They are not my favorite dealer and I have had bad experiences with them several times. But I figured it was just an inspection how bad can it go? Well, they rejected the bike because it had HID lights! I have had the bike inspected a couple times with the HID's and never a problem. They also tried to get me to buy a set of Pilot Power 2CT's for $520 a set plus installation! I told them the tires were less than 700 miles old and to go ahead and reject the bike. I took the sticker plate off and screw it I'll ride with no inspection.

Also got the driven axle blocks on with the new chain and front sprocket. This was really a huge difference - my chain must have been much worse than it lookoed. It had 17K on it but had no noticeable wear issues. I was noticing some sloppiness in the chain on down-shifts and when lugging the bike at low speed. All good now. Driven Axle block sliders look cool but offer no performance advantage over stock that I can see. Still like them though.

Driver Axle Blocks 01.jpg

Driver Axle Blocks 02.jpg

Driver Axle Blocks 03.jpg

I am surprised they even knew what HIDs were, and that they realized they did not come on the bike. I take it that is why they were rejecting it?

ouch.. screw them.. you should take it to where you had the bike pass inspection with the hid's on. stealer ships. then they wonder why ppl refer to them like that.. ()*^(*%*&^$%(*&%)*(&%(**# rant off. :banghead:

I am surprised they even knew what HIDs were, and that they realized they did not come on the bike. I take it that is why they were rejecting it?

Yup. Said that HID's are illegal and they can't pass it. They told me I had to put the stock ones back in or park it. I told them to ....... Oops family site.

Take it to an independently owned parts/service shop and you'll be fine. Only time I'd take my bike to a stealership would be to trade it in on another.

I am pretty sure if the shop sold and installed the HID. Would not have any issues. Come over to MD. No inspection after the first initial buy.

Why would a headlight UPGRADE be illegal?
I'm betting they don't know full content of the law. Research it and go elsewhere with proof they are ok.
Can't be illegal, can it? :banghead:

520 for 2ct's... are you effing kidding me you can get them for 270ish shipped through justin. Sorry but i hate shops like that with a passion. And HID's are illegal without a deflector they make a kit to put a deflector on the bulb but im so glad taht we dont have inspections here in michigan

I have gotten the bike inspected 2 times with the HIDs installed at another shop i usually go to. I got lazy and didn't want to face crossing the bridge/tunnel today soi thought I would try these guys. Next time I'm on the other side of the water I'll just get my regular guys to do it.

I have gotten the bike inspected 2 times with the HIDs installed at another shop i usually go to. I got lazy and didn't want to face crossing the bridge/tunnel today soi thought I would try these guys. Next time I'm on the other side of the water I'll just get my regular guys to do it.

yeah that shop sucks at life lol go to your regular guys lol

Technically not DOT approved.

Yep.. Your after market slip on's and exhaust aren't supposed to QRU either:laugh:

Modifying ECU is a no no to, there are certain sexual acts that are illegal even when it's your spouse. If there is fun to be had there is a law against it somewhere:rofl:

Yep.. Your after market slip on's and exhaust aren't supposed to QRU either:laugh:

Modifying ECU is a no no to, there are certain sexual acts that are illegal even when it's your spouse. If there is fun to be had there is a law against it somewhere:rofl:

:rofl:

Call the SWAT Team...I'm guilty as all heck...:whistle: Better inform the National Guard also while you're at it.

Why would a headlight UPGRADE be illegal?
I'm betting they don't know full content of the law. Research it and go elsewhere with proof they are ok.
Can't be illegal, can it? :banghead:

In the wonderful state of Virginia, yes it is illegal.
According to Virginia's effed up laws, almost anything aftermarket you put on a vehicles can be construed as illegal.
Spent 11 years in the Hampton Roads area and I am sooooooooooo glad I left!!

Take the bike to an idependent shop and have better luck.

How screwed up are the laws? (or were when I was there)
The little side maker lights that are on most cars now, were illegal (according to virginia) and people were getting tickets for something on the car that came from the factory that way.

volkswagen.jpg

volkswagen.jpg

Well,

Hampton Roads is actually a pretty awesome place to live even with the weird laws. This is just one dealer being a jerk and nailing some guy that came in for the first time. I bet they inspect HIDs all the time for regulars. No big deal I'll just take it to the regular guy.

HIDs are not legal if they are not DOT approved. No HID in stock reflector will be DOT approved. Technically they are just following the rules they need to in order to keep their inspection license. Don't take it personal.

I think it's that way in most states , any mods from factory specs are illegal.

Back