Coming to your state soon sb 435 passes in California

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I copied and pasted this info from another site!

For those of you who missed this, sb 435 is a law to enforce the fed pollution regs for Ca. vehicles.
It will probably be followed by our NW states quickly and the rest of the nation.

I stole this off another site;

"It was posted that Ca Gober signed SB 435 into law last night .. I hope you guys still have your stock pipes .. I really like the first line of the law " Makes it a crime for a person to park " You don't even have to ride it to get a ticket !!! Just park it with aftermarket exhaust and get a ticket .. WOW"

SUBJECT: Motorcycle exhaust system federal noise labels

SUMMARY: Makes it a crime for a person to park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the state that is manufactured on and after January 1, 2011, that does not have a federal U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) noise emission control label. Specifically, this bill:

1) Requires that a registered motorcycle manufactured on and after January 1, 2011, and operating within the state, have a federal U.S. EPA noise emission label.

2) Establishes that a violation of the labeling requirement is a mechanical violation and a peace officer is prohibited from stopping a motorcycle solely on a suspicion of a violation of this labeling requirement. Requires a peace officer to cite a violation of this law as a secondary infraction.

3) Requires that a person issued a notice to appear or to whom a complaint is filed, to produce a proof of correction.

4) Establishes a violation of this law as punishable by the same fine that is currently established pursuant to the equipment anti-tampering law.

EXISTING LAW:

1) Known as California's anti-tampering law, prohibits the installation, sale, offer for sale, or advertisement of any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control device or system.

2) Subsequent to the purchase of a motor vehicle (including a motorcycle), establishes an exemption by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) if an alteration, modification, or modifying device, apparatus, or mechanism does either of the following:

a) Not to reduce the effectiveness of the required motor vehicle pollution control device; or,

b) To result in emissions from the modified or altered vehicle that are at levels that comply with existing state or federal standards for that model year.

3) Requires a motorcycle to have equipped at all times an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. Prohibits a person from modifying the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle that exceeds the noise limits or otherwise makes the motorcycle noncompliant.

4) Existing federal regulations require a motorcycle manufactured on and after January 1, 1983, and exhaust emission systems for those motorcycles, to meet specified noise emissions standards and require that a label be affixed onto the motorcycle or exhaust emission system indicating that the motorcycle or exhaust emission system meets the noise emissions standards.

A link from when it was proposed;

SB 435 (Pavley): Vehicles: pollution control devices.

Glad I still got my stock stuff gathering dust in the corner of the shop.
Yet another way to gather revenue and hold off the next Ice Age.

I can see ticket revenue, impounded bike revenue, recertification fees and on and on.....,
Wa. and Or. will be all over this one!

Ill just keep a bike made pre 2011 until the appeals get worked out. Surely they won't be able to uphold this law w/o goin after the cagers too.
Posted via Mobile Device

The whole EPA deal is a scam. It's just to combat noise.

I copied and pasted this info from another site!

For those of you who missed this, sb 435 is a law to enforce the fed pollution regs for Ca. vehicles.
It will probably be followed by our NW states quickly and the rest of the nation.

I stole this off another site;

"It was posted that Ca Gober signed SB 435 into law last night .. I hope you guys still have your stock pipes .. I really like the first line of the law " Makes it a crime for a person to park " You don't even have to ride it to get a ticket !!! Just park it with aftermarket exhaust and get a ticket .. WOW"

SUBJECT: Motorcycle exhaust system federal noise labels

SUMMARY: Makes it a crime for a person to park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the state that is manufactured on and after January 1, 2011, that does not have a federal U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) noise emission control label. Specifically, this bill:

1) Requires that a registered motorcycle manufactured on and after January 1, 2011, and operating within the state, have a federal U.S. EPA noise emission label.

2) Establishes that a violation of the labeling requirement is a mechanical violation and a peace officer is prohibited from stopping a motorcycle solely on a suspicion of a violation of this labeling requirement. Requires a peace officer to cite a violation of this law as a secondary infraction.

3) Requires that a person issued a notice to appear or to whom a complaint is filed, to produce a proof of correction.

4) Establishes a violation of this law as punishable by the same fine that is currently established pursuant to the equipment anti-tampering law.

EXISTING LAW:

1) Known as California's anti-tampering law, prohibits the installation, sale, offer for sale, or advertisement of any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control device or system.

2) Subsequent to the purchase of a motor vehicle (including a motorcycle), establishes an exemption by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) if an alteration, modification, or modifying device, apparatus, or mechanism does either of the following:

a) Not to reduce the effectiveness of the required motor vehicle pollution control device; or,

b) To result in emissions from the modified or altered vehicle that are at levels that comply with existing state or federal standards for that model year.

3) Requires a motorcycle to have equipped at all times an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. Prohibits a person from modifying the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle that exceeds the noise limits or otherwise makes the motorcycle noncompliant.

4) Existing federal regulations require a motorcycle manufactured on and after January 1, 1983, and exhaust emission systems for those motorcycles, to meet specified noise emissions standards and require that a label be affixed onto the motorcycle or exhaust emission system indicating that the motorcycle or exhaust emission system meets the noise emissions standards.

A link from when it was proposed;

SB 435 (Pavley): Vehicles: pollution control devices.

Glad I still got my stock stuff gathering dust in the corner of the shop.
Yet another way to gather revenue and hold off the next Ice Age.

I can see ticket revenue, impounded bike revenue, recertification fees and on and on.....,
Wa. and Or. will be all over this one!

Tell that to all of the countless straight pipe custom harley's that are in the State of California! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think Vance & Hines already has a DOT-approved aftermarket exhaust for at least one model of H-D, and I'm sure that will become the case for other brands. (That's why companies like Yosh sell their exhausts with the warning that its made for racing use only.) In the end, the AMA will likely challenge the enforcement, because if the reason is sound levels, they can't target motorcycles without also looking at, say, trucks and buses.

This is part of an article from the AMA's website:

In 1972, Congress passed the federal Noise Control Act, which required the EPA to set sound standards for a number of products. It took several years, but the EPA eventually wrote rules affecting all new motorcycles sold in the U.S. beginning in 1983.

Those regulations, which still stand today, required that all street-legal motorcycles be limited to 83 decibels at that time, with a stricter, 80-decibel limit imposed beginning in 1986, measured with a ride-by test.

The AMA has long maintained a position of strong opposition to excessive motorcycle sound. In September 2009, the AMA developed model legislation for use by cities and states seeking a simple, consistent and economical way to deal with sound complaints related to on-highway motorcycles within the larger context of excessive sound from all sources.

The model legislation offers an objective method to evaluate motorcycle sound based on the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) J2825 standard, "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles," which is a stationary test. For more information, click here: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/legisltn/Model_On_Highway_Sound_Ordinance.pdf.

this is nothing new....CA has had noise and emmissions laws for years(decades). I myself have had several modified exhaust tickets on my RZ350's especially. they are secondary offenses, meaning that when you are driving like an ass-hat in Malibu Cyn, or ACH....they give you a speeding ticket, and then a modified exhaust ticket.....you can also get tickets for :
non-DOT blinkers
colored or tinted windscreen
non-lighted license plate bracket
modified license plate bracket

Repeat after me: I HATE THIS STATE, I HATE THIS STATE, I HATE THIS STATE, I HATE THIS STATE, I HATE THIS STATE, I HATE THIS STATE, I HATE THIS STATE!
Somebody doesn't like california very much :laugh:
There's going to be a WHOLE lot of custom chopper/bike shops and harley/custom bike riders that aren't going to like it much either pretty soon :whistle:

Somebody doesn't like california very much :laugh:
There's going to be a WHOLE lot of custom chopper/bike shops and harley/custom bike riders that aren't going to like it much either pretty soon :whistle:

Believe me between the heat (I live in the desert part), the draconian auto/bike laws, and the asinine gun laws I would love to move. My financial/family situation prevents this :(

I got to tell you, I like a great exhaust sound. But the general populace does not.
So many bikes running around with straight pipes and obscenely loud pipes that it was inevitable. Push the envelope too long and too far, it pushes back. I have had many noisy systems on my bikes since I started riding in the late 60's. But open pipes even
annoy me.

Well guys, I live down here in good ole red neck TN and I ride right by the local po po man with straight yosh pipes, no muffler. and they dont give me a second look CA :moon: Oh and the VTX has V&H big shots and that dont seem to bother them ether.

Last edited:
Back