After Market Exhaust

DaCol.

D' Colonel
Donating Member
I just read where California is going to require motorcycles to pass emission test every two years. Which the article says (Yep I believe it) after installing the after market exhaust and richening  the mixture the exhaust will NOT pass either the State Emission test or Noise test.

So
wink.gif
, have any of you Cal guys heard of this and if so, what are you or the manufactures planning on doing
rock.gif
?

they have been toying with the idea for years, that and testing diesel's powered vehicles. far as I know motorcycles have to meet emmissions requirments right now but are not tested.

After getting hit with a "modified pipes" fixit ticket last year I suggest all us Cali folks keep their stock cans in the garage when they upgrade to aftermarket.

I heard this also, but like classic cars or pre 1972 it will only pertain to new bikes bought that year. Actually no full exhaust is street legal, as well as some bolt ons. It all depends on the officer pulling you over. I've been pulled over for loud exhaust. Never given a ticket, just a warning, or complement. When you bought your new exhaust, did it say it was 50 state legal? If not then be aware.

The Yosh RS-3's were on the bike when I bought it. I got stopped in Hollywood by LAPD (slow night I guess). Thankfully the guys at my shop, Southland Suzuki, gave me a stock set to put on till I could get the ticket signed off. O.C. Sheriff signed it off at Starbucks and DIDN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE STINKIN' BIKE! The officer just looked at the ticket and turned to his partner, "Modified pipes? Who gave you this?" I said LAPD and the officer said, "Clowns". He signed it off, then looked me in the eye, "You DID swap them out, right?". "Yes, Sir".

Road down to Hollywood and paid my $10. All that for nothing. :lol:

(brad @ Feb. 13 2007,23:42) The Harley Davidson riders are going to have fun with that law if it passes.
I'm sure ABATE will have something to say about it
laugh.gif

In Oakland and the Bay Area in general, the cops ride Harley's with aftermarket exhaust. They have to remove them also.
argue.gif

this topic has been brought up before some of the guys came up with the idea to get a map on your pc3 that makes it run lean for the inspection then switch back to your old map afterwards

So when are the bike Exhaust Manufacturers going to start doing CARB legal "Cat Back" exhaust systems for bikes? Car guys have dealt with this for years.

I've been running straight pipes on my H-D since 2001 and have not gotten stopped once. Just lay off the throttle when you pass a cop. This subject was brought up at the shop who installed them. They said that they had heard that Rocklin H-D was fined for selling a non-conforming bike(exhaust pipes) taken in on trade. Even changing the tire size would have caused a CARB violation.

However, recently they showed me a letter from CARB which basically stated that enforcement of emissions on motorcycles was not cost effective. I don't think we are free and clear yet so don't get rid of your stock cans.

Your current bike is NOT required to pass a smog test. California will implement tier 3 (Euro 3) smog testing in 2008 with the feds (49 state) in 2010. Most 2007's are already in compliance including the GSXR 1K with the dual three stage cats. What is illegal NOW is modification of the existing exhaust that is (mostly) ignored at the user level. Its the dealers and shops that are being scorched for the infraction. Our local Harley shop was fined $1500 for EACH Harley they have outfitted with Screaming Eagle exhaust kits and the total was somewhere in the neighborhood of $235,000.
Local farmers are also being forced to replace they're "static engines" (diesel powered water pumps) with C.A.R.B approved systems.
Wood burning stoves sold after 1/1/07 must also meet C.A.R.B. standards (catalytic combustors).
Lawnmowers and yard/power tools will also be required to meet the new standards so...yes Virginia.....your 20cc weed wacker will have a catylytic converter. Eco-war has been declared on the 2 cycle internal combustion engine. Say bye-bye.
The Eco-Nazi's are flexing they're bureacratic muscles and we are in the kill box.

I've played the install and revert to stock thing too many times just in order to beat the noise police at their game... Its sad that some tree-hugging prick has nothing better to do then kill tree's writing out everything that violated "their" rights. You also have some police officers getting sh!t on by John Q Public when the officer gives them a fix-it ticket or fine (he's just trying to make a living like everyone else and sometimes they actually enforce the laws even when they dont necessarily agree with or support them). What a society we have, isn't it great. Too many freedoms, not enough tolerance for individuality.

(newmill @ Feb. 13 2007,21:48) Your current bike is NOT required to pass a smog test. California will implement tier 3 (Euro 3) smog testing in 2008 with the feds (49 state) in 2010. Most 2007's are already in compliance including the GSXR 1K with the dual three stage cats. What is illegal NOW is modification of the existing exhaust that is (mostly) ignored at the user level. Its the dealers and shops that are being scorched for the infraction. Our local Harley shop was fined $1500 for EACH Harley they have outfitted with Screaming Eagle exhaust kits and the total was somewhere in the neighborhood of $235,000.
Local farmers are also being forced to replace they're "static engines" (diesel powered water pumps) with C.A.R.B approved systems.
Wood burning stoves sold after 1/1/07 must also meet C.A.R.B. standards (catalytic combustors).
The Eco-Nazi's are flexing they're bureacratic muscles and we are in the kill box.
From what I understand, motorcycles were subjected to the same emissions standards as cars/trucks, however, those laws were never enforced. However, recently they started making noise to start enforcing them but the CARB standards have been on the books for years.

As far as the Busa is concerned, the Suzuki dealership said that they may start to enforce emissions on 2007's and beyond.

By the way, are you a Northerner, near Sacto?

(CAT3 @ Feb. 13 2007,21:57) I've played the install and revert to stock thing too many times just in order to beat the noise police at their game...  Its sad that some tree-hugging prick has nothing better to do then kill tree's writing out everything that violated "their" rights.  You also have some police officers getting sh!t on by John Q Public when the officer gives them a fix-it ticket or fine (he's just trying to make a living like everyone else and sometimes they actually enforce the laws even when they dont necessarily agree with or support them).  What a society we have, isn't it great.  Too many freedoms, not enough tolerance for individuality.
PS-Try buying a gun in Kalifornia. You AZ guys got it made. I was in Scottsdale and went to the SGC to check out the .50 cal.

By the way, are you a Northerner, near Sacto?[/Quote]
Yes, about 90 miles north in Chico. They just warned the local farmers in a front page article in yesterdays  paper. They have 45 days to comply or.....

Its my understanding that they cannot retroactively force smog testing on bikes. A previous legal ruling shut that down back in the 90's with regards to out of state autos, which is why I believe that they are targeting the dealers for the modifications and subsequent non compliance penalty.

Back