trans problems

hellrazor3114

Registered
I have a 05 hayabusa and the trans is sliiping under load in second gear when I get on the throttle it just kinda slips then grabs. But only in second. I have searched and read about the under cutting, do I have to remove the engine to remove the trans, and if so are there any good walkthrews. I have the factory service manual but it doesnt seem to be very helpfull

Yup, gotta pull everything. Now is the time to upgrade whatever you may have thought of since your in so deep to the engine. Great news is once its done the bike will shift so sweet. It will shift the way the trans should of been done in the first place.

Slipping under load ? How can that be ? These arent automatics. Either your clutch is slipping or your spinning the tire would be my guess.

I am having this same problem. Could the problem be with the clutch going bad? Or should I just pull the tranny and have it undercut?

bill robinson will undercut the gears for $60 shipped. 2nd & 6th. robinsonindustriesinc.com I think. shoot him an email. But yea your 2nd gear is going bad. Do it now while the gears are still able to be undercut. Otherwise you're looking at $200+ for new 2nd & 6th. Probably need to replace the shift fork that meets with 2nd gear also.

And you need to replace the shift shafts with billet ones.

Not trying to be funny, and you may have already looked, but does it clunk really bad when shifting into first? If so, check your cush drive for wear before you pull the engine.

I would think the clutch is more likely to slip. Shouldn't it come out of gear if it is the tranny.

No, my 2nd was worn horribly, but it didn't come out of gear, it would slip. The way the gears work is there are shift dogs. On the picture below there are 5 of them facing upwards and you can see where they are worn. The gear that it mates up against is 6th gear. 6th gear also has shift dogs, and these 5 shift dogs are what locks the gears together to spin the drive shaft, so to say. You have a shift fork pressing 2nd gear against 6th gear, so when it starts to slip off of 6th gear the shift fork pushes it back in. This is where the slipping and grind comes from.

shifter1stgear.jpg

I'm no expert, and my friend did my engine work for me, but he showed me how the tranny works when it was apart. I think I got all this right. :)

I would put $$ on it being 2nd gear. All Gen1's are susceptible to rounding off 2nd gear. All Gen2 come undercut from the factory.

I got this pic from APE @ APE

undercut.gif

shifter1stgear.jpg

Last edited:
ok all I finally got the engine out of the busa and split it. below are a few pics of what I found.

now Im asuming that the problem gears are the two in the lower rignt of this pic correct me if im wrong

IMG_20100727_193842.jpg

Here is a pic of the shift fork Does this need to be replaced, it is scared up but not bent

IMG_20100727_194020.jpg

here are the gears they dont seem to be to worn what is yor opinions if they can still be undercut

IMG_20100727_194919.jpg

IMG_20100727_194911.jpg

I would replace those shift forks too! If you don't want to wait while yours are getting backcut. Spencercycle has them instock already backcut, and cloud nine motorsports has them too! Don't for get to get the the shift shaft! I- just got all mine ordered monday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wouldnt you think Suzuli would have fixed /upgraded this issue ? Man all they had to do is add $200.00 to the cost of the bike..

I believe mine does the same... Is there any good walk through on this? I believe I could figure out how to get the clutch out, but there is probably going to be something I should be looking for and signs that it is the clutch....

my trans looked the same. replace the gears with undercut ones, replace the shafts with ape billet shafts, and new shift forks, and all better, shifts like a dream.

Is there a write up on this anywhere, and any idea on how much this would cost to fix if you did it yourself?

i dont know if there is a write up on this, however it depends on how much you spend on your undercutting or purchasing undercut gears will cost. i can tell you that i spent around 60 bucks for the billet shafts, the forks are around 80 each, the lower gasket set is about 40 bucks, and of course your oil filter and coolant which depending on what you use is over 100. the factory service manual walks you through the entire process for the most part. it is what i used to put mine together and i was given a bunch of busa parts in boxes and had no problems but i do have alot of mechanical experience.

Back