HELP first service oil choice

highestgrade

Donating Member
Registered
thanks for all the advice but i'm still at square one...i need to do my first service oil change...my only available choices using motorcycle oil are... castrol actevo 20w-50? or castrol gps 10w-40 full synth?

553 miles

HELP!!!

I always use Castrol GPS 10W-40. It's perfect for me. But I live in Ireland and it's good for our climate. I'm not sure what viscosity you would need for your part of the world(weather). Either way, it doesn't make too much of a difference. Castrol GPS is good oil. As long as you change it at the recommended intervals you should be good.

I've always put Castrol synthetic in mine too, no issues at all...20,000+ miles behind me...

:thumbsup:

I was just looking at the Castrol websites. US and UK. They have different names for their 4 stroke oil.

USA - "Castrol Power RS R4" is Fully Synthetic
UK - Same oil is called "Castrol Power 1 Racing" fully synthetic

USA - "Castrol Power RS GPS" is Semi Synth
UK - "Castrol Power 1 GPS" is Semi Synth

Either way, on both sites the GPS is Semi synthetic or also called "Synthetic Blend" on USA site. For a 500mile service, go with the GPS 10W-40. It isn't fully Synthetic.

I submit that there is no difference between 10-40 "car" oil and 10-40 "motorcycle" oil, provided that neither is "energy conserving".

Long as you stay away from that "energy-conserving" labeled stuff, dino oil is dino oil.

CW

I wouldnt use full synthetic on the first service, but that is just me.

OK we established you didn't like the idea of using car motor oil cause possible problems with clutch. So why would you consider synthetic oil that might prevent your motor from fully breaking in properly? I would use a non synthetic even if it was Car motor oil and baby the clutch till your next service. Order the oil you want now so it will be here for your next service. At least giving your options that's what I would do. Or part your bike for the 30days it takes to get the oil in.

Dude, like, welcome to the site and all, but how many different pieces of advice do you need? You obviously have an internet connection, you have stated you are limited to the types of oil available to you, you have access to the motorcycle/oil manufacturer's web sites to do the research on recommendations, and everyone here is trying to be helpful....what's the deal? Please don't see me as being rude, but f2f and after starting a second thread, what more do you need?

P1070214.jpg

P1060678.jpg

Back