Bike is near winterized. Changed oil before winter

BowDown

Registered
Well I have been running BelRay semi-synth 10w-40 in my bike.. and it's got about 3100 miles on the last oil change. So I'm thinking of changing the oil/filter now. I picked up some BelRay dino 10w-40 to put in for the winter, then I figure I'll drop the oil first thing in the spring and put the semi-synth back in?

Sound a bit obsessive? The bike will be stored outside in my shed. So there is a possibility of getting moisture in the oil. I would hate to leave the 3100mile stuff in there over the winter if the acids in the oil are going to taint the crank case? Or is that a myth?

Figured in the spring if the BelRay stuff still look good I can put it into my lawn mower...

it's always good to do an oil change before storing things away. Throw in some fuel stabilizer and run it through the system. Top off the tank and put your batt on a charger.

Ya, I'm going to pull the batt out and bring it into the house (prbly on a shelf in the basement). I have a trickle charger I will put on it.

The oil change is good, fill the tank is good, and I would buy a good battery tender.. they know to cycle the battery and shut off when done.. trickle charger will sulfate a battery if left on all the time.

I would use the same oil as you run and then leave it in when spring comes... it will pick up a bit of moisture over the winter but that will burn off in the first 20 minutes of running..

Not sure about bikes but cars have more problems from not running than they do if they are started and used a bit during storage.

WINTERIZE !!!
oh you live in NY,
snows alot doesn't it? We rode last year on christmas eve for aliitle while , I hope we can get some 30 -40 mile runs durin the winter this year..
We are in Tulsa OK for the holidays and this SUCKS!!! wish we had the bikes ,70 - 80 most the week..

Winterize
rock.gif
I just keep riding the shid out of mine
cool.gif

Not sure where Rome NY is,if its up near Buffalo I guess you have to winterize,Im in Philly,theres usually a day or two a month we can get out.no such thing as "winterize"
beerchug.gif

I don't know how much truth the is to this because the argument about it is as long as which oil to use, but it was my understanding that once you switch to a synthetic or a synthetic blend you cannot use dino oil again or it will sludge up. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to chance it just incase.

Don't use a trickle charger. Get a battery tender or go to sears and get a battery maintaner. A trickle charger will over charge and shorten battery life or kill it all together.

If your bike will be in a shed, I would recommend that you seal off the exhaust and the air intake so mice do not find a way in there to nest. They can get in small places and really make a mess.
umnik.gif

All of the above and we put ours up on maintenance stands to take pressure off the bearings ... and a good coat of wax ... check the rad so it doesn't freeze up - Sigh ... (and for those that noticed ... we moved from Panama City to Ottawa Canada! - just don't know how to change the profile!)

KellyTrackDay0003__Large_.jpg

Back