NGK CR9E at Autozone #6263 $4.39

Spudley

Grippin' and Rippin'
Donating Member
Registered
I'm not sure if this has been covered but I'm passing this along as a heads-up.

The Spud snapped the threads off one of his new CR9E's tonight :whistle: after installing my fresh injectors, and doing my valve inspection. I put anti-seize on the thread and ran it in to 16 ft/lbs and heard that familiar "squeak" that only comes from a thread shearing somewhere in the thread stack....:snap:

I tried backing it off and only got the upper half of the spark plug out.....well, this isn't the first time I've snapped something off. Word to the wise, the inside of the threaded-bore surrounding the insulator is 7mm. So, I found a slotted screwdriver in my selection that matched it in dimensions. Basically 6mm at the smallest part widening to about 8mm. I tapped it gently into the bore just enough to indent / grab the bore, and in less than a minute I had it out. "PHEW !!!!!!".

So I'm running NGK part numbers online, and low and behold our beloved CR9E is a 6263 standard spark plug number, and our beloved Iridium is a 3521. I get on the phone and call my favorite 24hr Autozone location (which employs one of the best parts hounds I've ever known), and inquire to the availability. $4.39 and they have fourteen of them in stock.....to say I'm back in the game without a whole lot of hassle is an understatement....

So the lesson here....even when NGK says contact plus a half turn, and our Manual says 16.5 ft / lbs...they can still fail, or The Spud needs a new torque wrench !!! :oldcool:

Last edited:
Yo Spud my man...torque on them there spark plugs is 8.0 ft lbs Bro :poke:

yep, 8lb's just done mine tonight. O'reilly auto parts has the cr9e's for 3.31 here. cheapest ive found locally.

Then where did I get the 16 ft/lbs from ????......D@MN DRUGS.....did too many...."waaay too long....". Normally with the NGK's and the crush washer I simply go down to the bottom, and then a half turn for the crush washer. Tonight I'm thinkin' I'll finesse things a bit....D@MN drugs.......well anyway...Autozone has CR9E's for $4.39 in Las Vegas.... :super:

:oldcool:

Last edited:
you know if you shared more of them D@MN DRUGS,we might not of noticed the diffreence between 16 and 8lbs. :laugh:

Noooo, when I was doing them "back in the day"........I tell ya what....if I come across any of them D@MN drugs, I'll send them to "you", so "you" can have a 16 ft/lb Hayabusa-moment !!! :moon: I never wrecked cars until I got cleaned up, and I sure as H3LL never twisted a spark plug head off accidentally..... :super:

Bummer, but at least you got it fixed pretty easy. There is nothing worse then working on something and find out a mistake you made is gonna cost a lot to fix.

I dont have a torque wrench that reads that low anyway. I think mine starts at 40 ft/lbs.

hand snug plus half has always worked for me.

Be careful with the anti-seize compound. They usually have metal material in them. Use very sparingly on the threads and keep away from the threads at the tip, or the AS compound can creep into the electrode area and cause a short. I know at least one of the plug manufacturers says not to use it at all on the threads.

I usually use a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil myself, but I'm old skool. And I can't remember the last time I used a torque wrench on a spark plug.

seriously you put a torque wrench on your spark plugs!
:rofl:

by the way glad it worked out ok in the end

Back