2nd gear

oreo

Registered
hey whats up everybody i gotta a question my i think my 2nd gear is going out i can be cruising around in second and give it alittle gas and seems like its popped out of gear but then it goes back in on its own i dont know if it is coming out of gear thats just my guess i would just like everybody's input on what you think and how hard it is to fix

My guess it that there is nothing wrong other than rider error. The pro's will be here shortly to explain why:beerchug:

From what I hear this is an issue on the newer busas.... My buddies 05 does it. I think something about 2nd and 3rd go out on them.... I know there are post up here about it as this is where I found the if on it for him.

How many miles on the bike? What year is it? How do you shift, hard?

If you are still running regular dino oil then I recommend changing over to a full synthetic oil. That will hopefully eliminate to issue. If it doesn't and you have mid to high miles on it and don't really know the early history of the before rider, you may have a transmission issue and need to pull it and rebuild. And that last part isn't always fun. So, change your oil religiously, take your time shifting and see if it goes away. If not, you may have more than you thought.

You probably are in the beginning stages of a bent shift fork. Due in part to missed shifts or soft shifts or even a flexing shift fork shaft. To repair it you have to split the cases and it can be pricey if you don't know how to do it yourself or know of a friend that can do it.

It's an 06 with 8800 miles on it and i just got it from a guy and there's really no telling how hard he was on it i havent tried using synthetic oil yet though i'll give that a shot thank you for your help is rebuilding the tranny that hard

rider error huh ??? im glad the experts will be here soon with something helpfull :thumbsup:

Yeah, rider error LINKY Try using the search feature. Or go to the sub forum titled Busa Problems and look for false nuetral

Last edited:
This post inparticular

I think that most all of the problems are caused by rider error...new owners tend to baby the bike too much and not fully engage the gears when shifting. This happens quite often on the 1-2 shift...the gears don't mesh fully and then it pops out of 2nd gear, which is called a "false neutral"...when this happens people panic, sometimes even slamming it back into gear causing further damage. If you shift it firmly, you won't have any problems.

i see where your coming from sambusa thanks i also thought that might be the problem and have tried shifting harder and i dont have to slam it back into gear it goes back in itself it only stays out a second or two

Sorry I didn't type all that out before. One handed and all Just tryin to save you some coin for a known issue:beerchug:

Yep, if you search abit you'll find that some folks feel the busa has tranny gears and shift forks with the durability of butter......and they don't last more than a few thousand miles of grandma driving before the tranny takes a complete crap ??? :whistle: Its def some kinda conspiracy on Suzuki's part to sell as few busa's as they possibly can, probably the reason nothing's been changed after 10 years of the same tranny :laugh:
I guess if you want a tranny that lasts buy a 14 :bowdown:

Back