You have to be a girl

DAB

Registered
- with apologies to the female 'Busa riders.

Uneasy Rider..
Wed Mar 15, 2006 08:51 AM ET

By James B. Kelleher
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Harley-Davidson Inc., the U.S. motorcycle maker, insists it isn't nervous.

But analysts and others who watch the company say it's in the middle of a coming-of-age drama that might be called "Uneasy Rider."

As the Baby Boomers who transformed Harley's rumbling, lumbering bikes from countercultural totems into American icons enter their senior years -- the leading edge of the generation is turning 60 this year -- they're increasingly in the market for knee and hip replacements, not Harley's notoriously bone-shaking bikes.

That's forcing the Milwaukee, Wisconsin-based company to scramble to find new customers among women, blacks and Hispanics -- groups that have not been traditional Harley-Davidson riders.

The quest has involved the development and rollout of new products, like the 883 Sportster Low, built for smaller, lighter riders, and new marketing efforts, like Harley's TV ad campaign during the NCAA tournament this spring.

And the effort is showing some signs of success. Female ridership has quintupled in recent years. Today, women like Janeen Wingo, a 33-year-old resident of Calumet City, Illinois, who bought a Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster last summer, account for 1 in 10 of the company's sales -- up from 1 in 50 just 15 years ago.

But as Harley-Davidson tries to adapt to the changing marketplace, analysts say it needs to avoid the pitfalls that other Baby Boomer-favored businesses like Levi Strauss & Co. have fallen into as they tried to navigate a similar transformation.

"How do they do it without hurting existing customers and destroying the brand?" says Geoff Meredith, the president of Lifestage Matrix Marketing, a California consulting group that specializes in aging baby boomers and has worked with Levi's. "That's the $64 million question."

For manufacturers of recreational vehicles, like Forest City, Iowa-based Winnebago Industries Inc., the aging of the nearly 80 million Americans born between 1946 and 1964 represents the beginning of a golden age.

For Harley-Davidson, it represents the end of one. While the company has been making motorcycles since 1903, it only really became part of popular culture -- and the popular imagination -- after World War Two. Two events stand out: the demise, in 1953, of Hendee Manufacturing, its sole remaining domestic competitor (and the maker of the Indian motorcycle), and the popularity, in 1969, of the classic counterculture road movie "Easy Rider."

"Half their demand is from guys 40 to 50 years old," says Bob Simonson, an analyst for William Blair & Company in Chicago.

But that cohort, Simonson and others says, can no longer be counted on to support the bike maker. "In the 13 years ended 2004, that group was growing at a 1 to 4 percent rate every year," Simonson says. "Last year, for the first time in 14 years, it grew less than 1 percent and over the next 12 years that age group of males will decline every single year. They're going from having the demographic wind at their back to having it in their face."

Joanne Bischmann, vice president of marketing at Harley, admits, "The demographics are changing" though she insists the change isn't as dramatic as some have suggested. "But that doesn't mean there aren't other populations we don't want to tap into."

To reach out to the black community, Harley has begun sponsoring the nationally syndicated show of Tom Joyner, an African American radio host whose program is heard by as many as 8 million U.S. listeners. Harley is also advertising during the nationally televised college basketball tournament that dominates the U.S. sports calendar from mid-March to early April and is sponsoring the Roundup, an African American version of the annual gathering of bikers in Sturgis, South Dakota.

To reach younger Hispanics, the company is advertising in Hombre and Fuego -- two Latino men's magazines -- and participating in low-rider shows.

And to reach women, it's putting a four-page insert into Jane, Allure, Glamour and two other Conde Nast magazines, featuring what Bischmann says are "real women riders." It's also hosting garage parties for women -- not unlike the get-togethers that Tupperware, Avon, Mary Kay and other U.S. direct marketers have used to target women successfully for decades.

Harley has got some top-notch marketing talent. I don't think we'll be feeling sorry for them any time soon.

I know several women that have bought Hardley's in the past 3 years.
Single women in their 30's and 40's
Always sporty 883's with lowering links.
1 reason they bought them.
To meet men.
Why can't I find a women dying to ride a sport bike, those Hardley girls came just never keep up.
Makes for a bad date when you can't get out of first gear and your always looking over your shoulder for them.

I know alot of girls who ride Harleys for a very simple reason. They are easy to ride, hold up at stop lights, leg position is comfortable for them, and they'er not overpowered and slow (read easy to control) ! Plus, they get to buy NEAT looking Leather Pants and Stuff. And they think Guys think they look Sexy on'em  
tounge.gif

And actually, they do look sexy on'em. Not as Sexy as on a Busa with full leathers though
hot.gif

My girlfriends mom bought a 883 hugger. She would putt putt around her neighborhood to practice. Then she took the motorcycle license test and failed. She sold the bike a month later with 900 miles on it. Even the smallest bike Harley makes is a poor decision for a first time female rider. I dont think it was easy to balance, it was extremely topheavy. I think my 79 GS1000 was way easier to ride. This female marketing tactic might leave a bad taste is some peoples mouths because you know the salesman arent going to say "get a used ninja 250 and learn how to ride first".

I am 44 and have been lucky enough to have always owned a Harley and a sportbike at the same time ('95 Heritage Classic & '94 FZR 600; '00 Electra Glide Standard and '98 GSXR 750 and most recently, an '02 Road KIng and '98 GSXR 750).

later this year, my '01 busa will be joined by another Road King. Could never walk away from sportbikes or cruisers so i ride both!
smile.gif

Back