Using Stock Oxygen Sensor

gill_grissom

Registered
Hey,, forgive me if this sounds stupid but,,,,, I am about to get a new exhaust for my bike and I am planning on getting my ECU flashed with a custom map.

I am wondering why people don't use there stock Oxygen sensor. I am just guessing that because my 08 has an oxygen sensor; then the stock ECU must have some ability to control F/A ratios to a point.

So why not use that (the stock oxygen sensor) along with a flashed ECU. If you got the auto tune for a bazzaz or PCV you would just install a bung in your after market exhaust. One would think that you could do the same thing for a flashed stock ECU with a custom map as a starting point.

Please, those of you that know about these things, let me know if this is possible or if I am sounding like an idiot. :banghead:

Because the OEM sensor is a narrow band sensor and doesn't have the features/ability that a wideband sensor does. When people install a bazzaz or logger they do so to run/use a wideband sensor... ;)

The OEM sensor will only control certain variables through the ECU. Greg or Petrik would be the one to ask...

Last edited:
When I was using my Flashed ECU I compared the stock o2 vs's the jumped out o2 ( Bazzaz jumper ) and noticed a better throttle response with o2 jumped. You can run with or without sensor but it doesn't have the ability to change A/F as much as the wide band. Mine had a ( converted ) custom map in the ECU for my bike wich didn't convert good enough for me. You should have it custom tuned if going the Flashing route for best performance... my opinion o2 jumped.

Back