Twistie riders READ

BusaFever

Post ***** Master Jedi
Donating Member
Registered
Well I finally stretched her legs yesterday. I have been on leave, then with all this rain, I figured I would take it easy to knock some rust off since I haven been on a "ride" in 2 months.
It had rained friday night, so the roads were a bit damp in places, and completely wet in some spots under all the trees.

So i started testing the Metzeler Sportec M1s. You know, start each corner a bit faster and faster, building my confidence in the tires... I am noticing that I am going faster than I normally am, but it seems so effortless. So I'm thinkin, yeah, I am LOVING this tire. As I am in mid corner each time, I blip the throttle to see if the rear holds, and it did. So I start to speed up, mind you. I am running in 4th with the rpms low, to start out, about 5k. After about 15 minutes, of this, I about decide that I can't break the rear loose. So I just started floggin the piss out of the tires coming out of each corner. The damn thing still holds. So I downshift to third, and ride in a shorter gear with the RPMs higher. And continue to blip the throttle to get the friggin tire to break loose. The on/off the throttle in the corner didn't work either. So I start just powering out of the corner in 3rd. All the time, waiting on the back to loose traction. I mean, I have never came out of a corner on the street so hard in my life. Well, basically, I was romping on the throttle so hard in the corner that it was messing up my line, and lean angle. So then my senses take over, and I realize that it I had better just chill out before I fool around and dump the Busa. I never did get that metzeler to break loose.

I must say, that I am VERY impressed, those are some fast and STICKY tires! They have a better corner turn in, than the Pilot Sports, and are definately better grip. The Michelins would have lost traction long before these did. I was able to hold my line much better in the corners with these M1s.

I can tell you they are better than the Pilot sports for sure, and definatley better thatn the Dunflop D208s.

Do they stick better than the pilot powers or D218s? I don't know, as I have never ridden on them. But Michelin sure had better improved their tire alot to perform like this.

-Bill

Where did you get them? What they cost you? How did they perform at speed? I will be due for a new tire in the near future.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085870256 -->

Thanks for the update. I was looking at getting those next but was unsure.

Now I tell you the best part! They are fairly inexpensive, compared to a lot of tires...

I got mine from www.parts411.com. Those guys did me well btw...

They are $215 a set for the regular ones. (which I have)

$243 for the M1-P made for the Hayabusa.

I elected to try the non-P tire first, because I figured it would be stickier, just wear out faster. Also, some of other board members whom I respect think the same. (same story I got with the pilot sport vs pilot sport HPX)

I will probably try the P rated tire next to compare the performance and treadwear.

Happy riding!
-Bill

Stupid question here but why would the non-P be stickier than the P?
rock.gif

Thanks for the info. Very interesting!

I was contemplating getting M1's recently, but went with stockers BT56. Don't want to change them after 2 - 3k miles. Even BT56 I have now are almost done - after 5k miles including 3 track days.

Another reason I don't want anything stickier is that I want to learn to handle slides. That's a valuable skill for street, or track.

Well BusaFever, I can definitely attest to your comments. I too purchased a set of M1's from Parts411. I got the front and rear for about $250 shipped. I love those tires also. I put them on in May of this year and have done quite a bit of riding on them and they are fantabulous. They are very sticky and I love how well they warm up. LoBusa runs the M4's and she swears by them also. With her advice and the advice of a couple of my racing buddies, I decided on the Metzeler. I've put quite a few miles on them so far and the treadwear is pretty cool. These tires has raised my confidence level to it's highest in the twisties and I seem to get faster and faster everytime I ride. I would suggest the Sportec M1's to anyone.

Brian

BusaFever, could you please give us a bit more info. What was the ambient temperature during your test ride, and what pressures did you run?

Thanks, buddy.

Brian, could you give me an idea, how many miles you put on them so far, what pressures you are running usually, how aggressive is your riding style, and how much life is left in front/rear separately?
Thanks.

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095477649 -->

The M1 is an awesome tire and here are some facts:
-The (P) spec is actually larger than the regular M1 190 and measures out to be the same as factory at 198.
-The (P) spec tire compound and grip are the exact same as the regular series so you will not notice any difference.
-The (P) spec has an extra layer of carcass inside to strengthen the tire overall due to it's speed potential.
smile.gif

Many have gone to the 180. When I was in Nc that was all that I would use. But now in Fl with all the straights I was ruining the centers waaayyy too fast so went back to the 190.

BFever,
I'm running Sport HPXs - although I was looking at the M1s....here's sort of a smart-a$$ question though:
4th gear, 5k rpm...I figure between 60 and 70 depending on your mods....where were you riding? Up towards Nago? BTW what kind of yennage are they charging you to get on the freeway and ruuuuunnnnnn?!?
wink.gif

Back