TIRE PRESSURE FOR BT56'S

BOKMAN

Registered
What's the best all around tire pressure to run in the stock tires? My owners manual says 42 or 43psi , but my mechanic says to run 35psi. What do you guys recommend for all around performance/safety/wear?

I usually run 34-36
wink.gif

If you notice they recommend 42, for solo and dual riders. If you do mostly freeway riding then 40-42 is probably best. I prefer twisties and at 34-36 the tire is more flexible and warms up quicker, you also get a bigger contact patch. At the track (road course) I run 31 front and 30 rear....and when I come into the pits they are at about 36. Whatever type of riding that you do check your air pressure every day and keep an eye on how your tires are wearing and adjust the pressure accordingly.

Depends a little on your riding style. I've always run 36 in all my tires. There is a good piece by Kirk on SH.org about how to set air pressure....really takes two readings, one initial and then another when warm. If I remember right, shouldn't be over 4 psi difference or the initial # is too low to start with. Worth reading.

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114729463 -->

I went back and read Kirk's post. He says: if your second (warm) reading is more then 5 lbs higher, the initial number was too low, allowing too much side wall deflection, resulting in too much heat build-up. Conversely, if the second # is less then 5 lbs higher, the initial # was too high, not enough side wall deflection, not enough heat build-up. Being 5 lbs from cold to warm is the target. So it sounds like depending on your total ride weight and style of riding, one could zero in on the right tire pressure by using this method. Or, you could put 36 lbs in and go ride.....
tounge.gif
btw-it says Pirelli recommends a hot psi of 36 on the corsa's for optimum performance.

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114797610 -->

42 psi in the stock rear tire had the rear tire bouncing around a bit on rough back roads so I droped the pressure to about 38-40 psi and the front 36-38 psi. if I want to rip on the freeway, they go back up to 42

Back