Those that are mechanically enclined.

houstonbussa

Registered
Ok.. I have some wrench time and have done a few things under a car.

So my questions is, for regular maintanence, i.e. oil changes, breaks, other fluids, chains, etc what should one expect? I mean is it worth for a DIY person to tackle these things? How many DIY'ers here on your busas?

Reason I ask, there's a shop here in Houston where my bike is at. Just for a tire, a break lever, and a stater gasket (and of course oil). I know I'm not going to mount a tire, but this place has had my bike since last Saturday.. The lever was ordered on the same day. The tire was on back order and has arrived, but still a week and I'm still waiting on the stater gasket that was ordered on the same day as the lever. Yes the back ordered tire made it in quicker. Not only that, every time I walked in it seemed that what I owed seemed to increase.. I pre-paid for most part (thank god). But at one point I was comfortable why my gasket went from being $70 - $130 (which was to include the oil change on top of the labor and gasket which also got more expensive) but went in to pay and they were trying to get $160 out of me. After a **** load of arguing and someone found the tkt they wrote up on me they relized I was right and now I have a $37 store credit.

Either way before I keep going on (because I could), I'm interested in doing small things like fluids, I saw an awesome write up about replacing a chain, etc. Is it one of those things that if you understand mechanics to a point, you can get on with minor work on your bike? Not trying to change the heads, cams and such... Just some feed back of your experices before I look up and think that somone gave me some spair bolts.. lol

Well the good thing is there is a lot of write ups for just about anything you want to do. the first time you do anything is a pain and an opportunity to learn something. I dont take my bike to the shop for anything anymore. Inflated prices and the nice "test ride" after an oil change. There is one shop I trust in town, and one only. I will take my bike there for major issues, but I only take my wheels to a shop to change tires, I do my own oil changes, I do my own brake pads, and most any minor maint. things. Take your time, research before you do something, ask questions, and if you can find someone in your area, get some help from other oRg members. Not sure if that was what you are looking for as far as an answer, but thats me.

That's a perfect answer thanks. Not looking for a perfect answer or a technical one.. Just I do all mine.. Or I tried and f*ed up so bad I only go to a shop and everything in between.

Do it yourself! There's lots of us here who do our own work. Basic maintenance on these bikes is cheap and easy. You can find anything you need on this site, torque specs, service manuals, great parts at cheap prices from site sponsors, and unlimited advice 24/7. Save your money for the parts you'll want to buy, if you stick around, there'll be alot:laugh:

That's a perfect answer thanks. Not looking for a perfect answer or a technical one.. Just I do all mine.. Or I tried and f*ed up so bad I only go to a shop and everything in between.

The trick to keep from messing up and having to take it to a shop, is to ask first before you begin something. We got your back bro.

Do it yourself! There's lots of us here who do our own work. Basic maintenance on these bikes is cheap and easy. You can find anything you need on this site, torque specs, service manuals, great parts at cheap prices from site sponsors, and unlimited advice 24/7. Save your money for the parts you'll want to buy, if you stick around, there'll be alot:laugh:

So what you're sayin is either way I'm gonna be spending way too much money on this bike regardless, so I might as well enjoy it.. hhahaha:lol:

So what you're sayin is either way I'm gonna be spending way too much money on this bike regardless, so I might as well enjoy it.. hhahaha:lol:

Right on:laugh: Just make sure you're spending it on all the great mods you're gonna find out about here. Not the local dealer raping you.

If you are mechanically inclined, can do your own maintenance work.

Ask questions, go slow and be sure and you will be fine. Knowledge and experience are plentiful here.

I've never touched a bike mechanically and right now in the process of pullin the motor... Should be a good learning experience.:cheerleader:

Im in the same boat.. After many PM's to members i feel confident enough to do the oil, coolant, and rear pads..

The Clymer and Suzuki (owners manual) explains everything pretty well. The shop that put my front tire on wanted to charge $300+tax to change all fluids.. :banghead:

I've done oil, spark plugs, and pads in cars so it can't be that much more difficult..

Everyone here is really eager to help and no one has made any negative remarks to make you feel stupid..

This forum has been great so far, no complaints.. :thumbsup:

Well Falcon... I don't think I'll be ready to be yanking the block out, but I appreciate all the love already shown as I'm gonna have a lot of questions.. I'll do my best to troll the site for answeres first though..

ordered on the same day as the lever. Yes the back ordered tire made it in quicker. Not only that, every time I walked in it seemed that what I owed seemed to increase.. I pre-paid for most part (thank god). But at one point I was comfortable why my gasket went from being $70 - $130 (which was to include the oil change on top of the labor and gasket which also got more expensive) but went in to pay and they were trying to get $160 out of me. After a **** load of arguing and someone found the tkt they wrote up on me they relized I was right and now I have a $37 store credit.

And you wonder why the are called stealerships...

if you can change the oil in your car you can do the same with your bike. It's an engine, nothing magical about it. Everything is just more compact.

Great. Well that just excites me.. I HOPE that today I get her out of the shop and to never visit there again. Guess I need to go buy some stands now. :beerchug::cheerleader:

Back