Search round III is online

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Hey gang... We got the new search online and we tested the heck out of it this weekend... We think that we have most of the bugs worked out... If there is anything that I have learned in software development is that if you truly want to test it get the software to the user community to give it the real world testing. If anyone can break it you guys will......

Notice there are three areas in the search now.

1. Search by title
2. Search by post
3. Member Search

You have the ability to narrow the times down to a very specific range or you can open it up from the beginning.....

Test it, search for something that you know is out there but haven't seen in awhile and let me know what you think.

Cap

Hi Cap.

Firstly, thanks for your efforts in getting this back up.  I want to state that this may or may not be a bug, but here is what I found.

I did a search for "clutch springs" - with the quotes - since this is a common way in search engines to indicate that I want to find instances where there is an exact match of two or more words in sequence.

The results returned 31 pages and included instances of just the word springs and instances of just the word clutch - which I was trying to avoid.  Additionally, my search parameters of "clutch springs" was changed to a backslash character and therefore, when I clicked to navigate to the second page, I returned no results.

If I remove the quotes, I get the same results set (31 pages of results) and the search parameter is not changed to a backslash, allowing me to navigate to subsequent pages.

Hope this makes sense, and if the quotes in the search parameters is not allowed, then this is not a bug....

anyhow, thanks again and keep up the great work!  We all appreciate it..

Hi Cap.

Firstly, thanks for your efforts in getting this back up.  I want to state that this may or may not be a bug, but here is what I found.

I did a search for "clutch springs" - with the quotes - since this is a common way in search engines to indicate that I want to find instances where there is an exact match of two or more words in sequence.

The results returned 31 pages and included instances of just the word springs and instances of just the word clutch - which I was trying to avoid.  Additionally, my search parameters of "clutch springs" was changed to a backslash character and therefore, when I clicked to navigate to the second page, I returned no results.

If I remove the quotes, I get the same results set (31 pages of results) and the search parameter is not changed to a backslash, allowing me to navigate to subsequent pages.

Hope this makes sense, and if the quotes in the search parameters is not allowed, then this is not a bug....

anyhow, thanks again and keep up the great work!  We all appreciate it..
try the same search and use the phrase option.... and take off the quotes

I'm hearing zero from the members on the search functionality does that means that it is meeting the needs of the users? Are you guys finding what you are looking for?

Please let me know so we can move to the next project.

cap

Back