Rode a 2000 ZX9

Gixx1300R

Registered
A friend of mine got a 2000 ZX9 and i can say if the ZX12 rides anything like this Kawi might be in for a rude awakening.When ever I got the bike to around 120mph and 160 mph the bike began the slightly wobble.It wasnt just me,we had 3 other people ride the bike with the same result.I tried different seat positions with no avail.The run was in a straight line on a flat road.I think if the suspension is reset it will rectify the problem.Belive me,the Busa felt solid as Mt.Fuji after riding that thing

Have 98 ZX-9, and 99 Busa. ZX-9 appears to be plenty stable at speed. Were there any changes that would make the 2000 model wobble ? Were forks, and neck bearings tight ? Tires running true ? Definitely want to hear how this turns out. Next choice for light weight bike: 2000 GSXR 750.

BIKE magazine says there is a rumor out there that the zx12 also has a high speed wobble................I hope not. Dont want anyone hurt............

CDolan,The 2000 GSXR750 will not be out until April and they will miss most of the AMA races,have to use the older 99 or maybe they should try revamping the TL1000R.Went to the dealer today and was told late shipment until April.

I wouldnt go so far as to say it is a wobble.It's more like a slight shake,once you get past 120 it goes away and then comes back again about 160 then goes away.We check the steering bearings,alignment,tire pressure,mirrors,swing arm pivot,rear axle,front axle and brake rotors.All were fine.

Cisco San Jose: Had to wait till April, on 99 Busa, so history repeats. Better for me to get past property tax, and income tax, to see how much cash left. Considering AZ. or NM. to get better deal, and possibly earlier arrival. My girlfriend had to wait till July to get R-6, after 2 month wait behind deposit.

What tires come on the 00 ZX9? My 99 came with D204's. I changed them at about 5000 miles. Went with Pirrelli Dragon Corsas. They made all the difference in the world.

I used to hate high speeds with the Dunlops but, the Dragons made the bike as stable at 170 M.P.H. as it was at 70M.P.H.

The 00 ZX9 got an up graded suspension and a 190 rear tire(180 for the 99).

First that article in mcnews, now the shaking, seven riders down in one afternoon. What is this a suicide machine? I had money on this bike for several months, then actually paid for it prior to delivery in nov. A green one finally came in and I didnt even need to take it out of the showroom to realize this was not the bike for me, even the r1 has more legroom. However, this bike has a cultlike following and that did'nt happen by accident. I guess we'll see. My question to gixxer is how was that engine?

Well Omega,the motor felt very smooth and the chassis is better than the 1999 ZX9.Midrange was good and the bike feels faster or just as fast as the R1.The Hayabusa has the same abrupt on/off throttle but no one highsided it during testing,The 2000 ZX9 comes with Dunlop 207s.In my opinion the bike is not as stable as a 96-99 GSXR 750 while accelerating.

9--ZX9R's went down on highsides at Misano when journalists were riding them.
Seems to be a lot of negative talk about the abrupt on-off throttle which caused highsides. Come out of the turn hard "on"--wheel spins slides maybe, then "off"--instant highside.
This is normally a fuel inj. problem though.

They changed the fork offset this year from last as well--From 35mm-30mm, but moved the head forward to keep the wheel base the same 55.7 inches. Rake/trail 24/3.7 for 2000, don't know what it was.
Also stiffened the swing arm and frame--never heard anything about "shakes" though.
Bob

All the efi bikes have that abruptness, hearing it on a carbed bike suprises me though. Let me know when you play with that 9r on the street, doubt you'll walk him up to 150. Should be interesting.

True the throttle is a bit abrupt. It never really bothered me. After all my other bike is a GPZ 750 Turbo. Now that bike has a harsh on off thrttle. But I still love that bike.

"Most of the "offs" were highsides which wasn't that surprising, because getting back on the gas after braking and entering a turn was a dubiuos pleasure.
The problem was the way the power banged back in no matter how delicately you tickled the throttle."
Bridgestone "010's" UK spec Bike were used.

The Busa does not have that abrupt of on on-off, especially if you take care of the TPS setting, and I feel the PC2 removed alot of it.
New GSXR750 won't have it at all they claim. Like to see the sec, throttle blades move into the Busa next year (2001).

Another note--They believe the bike will hit a true 180 mph easily this year with the engine tweaks and new ram air.

Bob

Turbo810,

Why do you think the 750 has on/off throttle?
I think it's very mellow and sweet. It feels like a BIG heavy two-stroke, but it isn't abrubt or anything. It just loves to rev. That's how I feel, anyway.
And it certainly feels faster than a ZX11 (even if it isn't).

Johnnyboy it is the way the computer shuts the power down briefly then comes back on. If you get out of the throttle it kills all the power and depending on rpm it will come back on with a bang.

But this is what makes the bike so much fun. All turbo bikes have that hard hit. And I love it.

John Turbo810

Those of you that have ridden the Busa,R1,
and ZX9r. Which gives you the biggest
rush [street riding] in under 100mph
acceleration?

Have all 3. Busa best acceleration rush. Can get "air" in 1st 3 gears, if sitting upright. R-1 wins nimble, cornering contest. Busa pulls as hard with girlfriend on back, as '99 R-1, or '98 ZX-9 would, solo.

Back