price for motor work?

merisey

Donating Member
Registered
So, just got my quote topping in at just over $1600.00. New rings (all), pull clean and re seal all valves. New head gasket new valve gaskets and all labor to do so..... oil change rad flush etc. Thoughts? To high or good price?

Is the work complete with the engine in the frame...can that be done just by taking the top end off?

he said all damage was on top end, though I would consider rings bottom end. He is reputable I just never imagined it would be that high. I guess I was wrong. The motor is currently out of bike... He has done all work to diagnose problem. I just found oil in tb and blowing out pipes. he said multile valve seals were shot and 2 rings were cracked which caused the smoke under throttle. so he is replacing all 8 rings to be safe as well as going through and cleaning up the head,(forget the word he used) cleaning all valves, intalling new guides, adjusting the lash of all of them. then new gaskets for head and valve cover. Oh and engine ice and a oil change. Think I should ask any other questions? What would cams and hc pistons really give me? I really dont utilize the power of her as it is.

May as well do a multi angle valve grind or competition grind, may need new bores if the rings are broken.I think these are chrome plated bores, cant remember.How did this damage happen??Make sure he knows how to shim the valvetrain as it can be easily screwed up if done wrong.May as well put in better pistons while in there but thats me.May at least want the exhaust cam changed out for an intake cam.More lift I believe.Then throw a good tune on it.

Back