Power comander

wolfe

Registered
i just installed a TRE in my 2001 Happy bus and i am eventualy going to put a 4 into 1 pipes on it but what i was wondering was if i put a power comander on my bike is there a need for a TRE??????
aktion035.gif

I'd been thinking that too. Also anyone know when the PCIII is coming out for the 02 and any news on em.

i was told in november 2001 that the pcIII would be out by now i'll try to find out from my dealer.......
aktion035.gif

This is a copy of the email i got back from Powercommander. I was impressed as they got back to me the same day i sent it.

Hello,

The units were delayed because they have a new connector compared to the earlier models.

We have them now, units are in production and shipping out to the distributors this week.

The cost is $399 for the PCIIIr

Full information here:

Best Regards

A power commander and a TRE are 2 entirely different things. The commander is for mixture and timing, the TRE is mostly for unrestricting top end limits, it will work great with the PC II.

The TRE or Timing Retard Eliminator is simply a small box that plugs into your engine wiring harness to 'fool' the Engine Control Unit or ECU into thinking that you are in 5th gear all the time.  My 2001 Busa for instance, has different timing curves for first and second gear to reduce engine power thereby making the bike easier to drive (supposedly less abrupt throttle response for slower corners, take offs etc.).  It also has a different rpm cutoff in 6th gear (9000rpm) to reduce the top speed.  By installing the TRE, I will get full engine power, with an 11000rpm cutoff in all 6 gears.  
I am told that a TRE will cure the slight surge at 1500rpm in 1st gear that I have noticed, but I haven't done the mod yet.  I am an automotive technician by trade, and I have just recieved my Busa service manual from Suzuki.  I will be checking out the operation of the gear selection switch to see if I can duplicate the 5th gear signal through a remote mounted switch.  If I do, I will let you know how to do it, but if you are at all nervous of cutting wires on your new bike, don't bother.  Just pay the money for the TRE.  Trying to save money is not justification for wrecking stuff.
thumbs-up.gif

TRE costs between free and $75. It's very easy to do yourself. Mine is switched, so I can turn it off when I want better idling or am not doing low-throttle city driving.

Personally, if you can afford to get it professionally dyno-tuned, do that to get rid of the flat spots due to aftermarket exhaust and intake mods. If you have a 2001 and will actually be topping it out, consider an Advanced TRE (http://www.motorcycleradar.com/products_pg5_5.htm).

The gear position switch is very difficult to access because of the way it has been packed (sealant, lube... messy process).

Anyone got any dyno charts with the power comander (2000 bike)?
What maps?
How easy is it to adjust the map with the software provided? Do you need to be a nuclear physicist to do anything useful?

The two parts have unrealted functions.

The TRE does what it's called, Timing Retard Eliminator. It makes the ECM think it's in fifth all the time, making the fuel injection mapping use the fifth gear mapping full time. In the case of the 2001, it removes the top speed restriction, but it can't unrestrict the 2002's. Also by mapping the fuel injection to fifth, it eliminates the under 4000 RPM lurching and surging.

The power commander lets you alter the fuel injection maps themselves, by altering the signals that the FI controller sends out. This is important when using aftermarket exhaust systems.

By using the two together, you end up with a single fuel injection mapping for all the gears, which is a little easier and less time-consuming than re-mapping all 6 gears on the ECM itself. If you unplug the power commander, it goes back to stock, unlike remapping the ECM, for which you need a dealer (or possibly a Yosh box) to do.

Get the PCII and make a TRE all you need is a 6.8K resistor.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi,

Could you please explain how to put a 6.8K resistor as a TRE on the busa?
aktion033.gif

Back