opinions on a dynojet quick shifter and turbo

arthur39

Registered
got a linear style quick shifter, was wondering if a direct run to the pc3 with just the fuel cut off would be ok? I am considering the ignition module so I can get fuel and ignition cut off together. I would think it is a fuel hard cut from the power commander, 80ms or so (wasn't sure if this would cause a lean condition without ignition cut off)
Im wondering if just the fuel cut will work, I have flashed the ecu with a fuel hard cut only and have bounced off the rev limiter on a few occasions full boost, :whistle: with no adverse affects.
Lemme know if you think I should invest in a ignition module or just run the fuel cut. tanx

I would NOT cut the fuel on boosted motor..... recipe for bad things... ignition all the way.

I would NOT cut the fuel on boosted motor..... recipe for bad things... ignition all the way.

Zero fuel or "cutting the fuel" is not a lean condition. When ECU's are flashed a HARD cut is specifically called for on a turbo bike instead of using the stock rev limiter of leaning out the fuel on just two cylinders. Hard cuts are the preferred method of using a rev limiter. If you just cut the ignition then fuel continues to flow and re ignites farther down on the turbo and exhaust pipe giving you the "pop" sound on every shift. Longer delay time = bigger pop. You don't get the ignition of unburnt fuel outside of the combustion chamber when you cut the fuel.

I have been using a quickshifter for a couple years. Works for me without having to deal with the bulk or recharging CO2 or air canisters. I would say you do not need the added cost and clutter of an ignition module to deal with a quickshifter. I have mine set to be armed only above 6000 rpm.

gilles.jpg

Why do you have it armed only above 6k RPM? Just curious, I am considering a quickshifter as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why do you have it armed only above 6k RPM? Just curious, I am considering a quickshifter as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

If the shifter is always armed then when you touch the shift lever for whatever reason it will cut out the fuel. I found that starting from a stop (like at a light or stop sign) while making a right hand turn I would sometimes slightly touch the shift lever when putting my feet back on the pegs, and the bike would cut out as if ready for an upshift while I was leaned over in the turn.

The quickshifter works best on heavy acceleration upshifts. Most times I just use the clutch if just driving around the neighborhood. So I choose 6k for the system to be available but not do anything if I accidentally lift on the lever when repositioning my boot on the peg.

I see what you are saying. I understand it's just a user preference. I was thinking about adding a quick shifter to my LSR bike but I'm not fully convinced on the product for race use. I have heard and read about positive and negative feedback but I suppose the only way to find out for myself would be to use one in a race scenerio
Posted via Mobile Device

dumb question, if the pc3 is only controlling lower injectors, seems like this wouldn't even be effective at high rpm max throttle as the lower injectors only provide 20% of the total fuel flow. Are there folks out there using a PC3 with quick shifter killing fuel on lower injectors?

sorry Greg, it is a Gen 1, so the PC3 should be killing all 4 cylinders, running a fmu with S2000's, 3bar map sensor with hub, tuned with PC3. I'll leave the pc3 to do the work without the ignition module, I tried flashing the ecu for the shifter, but dynojet has backward polarity on the switch so it was sending 220ohm resistance when the switch was NOT activated (by going back to the pc3, I am loosing the ignition cut that ecu editor provides :nervous:), so with what I have I'll have to use the PC3 for the quickshifter to make it work, which isn't a problem so all the hardware is on the bike. Thanks Megawatt for the input. Made a lot of sense.

yes I use hard cut on the ecu flash for the rev limiter on my Gen 1 (has saved me a couple of times) :laugh:, this is why I thought just killing the fuel would be ok for the quickshifter. The engine bounced off the rev limiter numerous times on the dyno as well, with the hard cut, full boost.

Arthur it sounds like we have about the same setup. Only difference is I have my 3bar wired directly into the powercommander wire harness so I sold my old hub.

Megawatt, i didn't know you could do that with the pc3, it will still add fuel that way, by reading the pressure from the 3bar? I had the bike tuned with the hub using the pressure settings from the map sensor to add more fuel as boost goes up, this allows me to set the boost controller to different PSI's. (not that theres much more room to turn it up, tuned to 10 psi could probably go to 12psi on 93 octane with 50/50 injection max.) THe hub also triggers the second stage on the boost controller at 85% tps and whatever rpm I set it at. Still fooling around with the boost controller, I'm using manifold pressure to run it. interested in how u wired the sensor into the pc3

IIRC. Scott Horner of heads up performance did the 3bar connection to the PC3. It turns the throttle % position to boost reference columns to add fuel. I am using a XS boost controller for boost above the 6# spring. It's tied into the flash to pass button to prevent me from boosting above 8# without the water injection. Bike is tuned for up to 13# on water that I carry in the trunk.

tank.jpg

Going on cruise today and will check back later.

I have been using a quick shifter on my bike for about three years now with no issues, even shifting at 12k is silky smooth....i have used a few different shifter power commander, and a cordona...
Picture068.jpg

busapic034.jpg

Picture067.jpg

interesting read on how u have the boost referenced fueling set up, never even heard of that. Flash to pass button? I have the aquamist 2s system tied into the 3bar sensor, it comes on at 7lbs and increases injection from there based on map sensor. I just started playing around with the 50/50 mix. The jet max's out around 210cc's a minute. Really like the aquamist 2s. Had a lucky find on a new one for sale. Interested to see what the flash to pass button is all about, incase injection fails to come on. Here's a pic of the injection tank in tail. Would like to add some fail safe to the injection.

water1_jpg.jpg

Flash to pass button let's me go from 8 lb boost to the boost controllers 2nd stage of 12 lbs as long as I am holding it down. I can hammer the throttle all I want and will only see 8 lbs for riding with no water or high octane as long as I never touch the F2P button. Just one way of setting up a bike that I wanted for me.

Back