Newb Troubleshooting

DaySleeper

Registered
Just got my '07 running again after it had a dead cylinder. The bike only has 1200 miles but number one was dead as a doornail. My buddy and I pulled the plugs and they looked good but awfully lean. The first owner put pipes on it and didn't do anything to tune it after that. Unfortunately for us, I apparently put the old plugs back in the same holes on accident and the problem stayed with the same cylinder! So we started pulling and swapping injectors, pulled the pump out and checked the pressure, swapped the injector harness, swapped coils, etc. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I swapped the plugs again thinking surely the number one plug couldn't have gone back in the same hole? What are the odds? 1 in 4 actually, lol! The problem followed the bad plug into number two!

I put in new NGK cr9e's I bought from Autozone and put a tuner in the injector harness and presto, it runs awesome now. The plug was lean fouled.

I also deleted that silly flapper door and actuator in the airbox since it was sitting there mocking me.

I guess the moral to my story is, always change the plugs first.

Seth

Welcome to the .org! Glad to hear that you were able to get the bike back up and running. Does the bike have a full system? Have you gotten the bike to a dyno and had it tuned?

No, I haven't had it tuned on the dyno yet but the tuner I put on it was from a busa that had the same mods as I and he did have it dyno tested. It sure seems good for now, but I'll be watching the plugs closely from now on and will have to test it soon.

Back