new rider

As a first bike?? this would be a mistake. even seasoned bikers must call on there experience and reflexes to deal with this bike. It WILL KILL YOU! Im not trying to scare you, hell i wish everyone could experience this bike. But the fact is, you going to, at the very least, drop it. Everyone, I mean everyone drops their first bike. I've been riding for 14yrs, and the first day i took by copper BUSA out i accidently poped the clutch in 3rd, next thing i knew i had a wheelie to deal with.

If your still determined to get the BUSA, invest in safety gear (leather jacket, pants etc.), take a course and pray.
Remember even if you have the bike under control, you still have to be prepared for those other sugarbritches who pull out infront of, cut-off and stop short in front of you.
Learn, fall, grow and live on a used bike, then get the BUSA, hell by that time you may want the next latest street rocket.. Good luck!

I'm posting this on a pensive note. I am in Ares shoes, I saw the bike, just a picture of it and couldn't get it out of my head. I debated buying it for weeks, and in the mean time I went and sat on it, looked it over and finally went in and put $ down on it. it took me a month to get it and in the mean time I took a motorcycle Saftey riding course because I didn't even have a cycle license. Anyway I got the bike and the biggest thing I had ridden before that was a 250 Enduro. Well needless to say there a bit different. Gixerfreak is right about his 2 points as are most of the poeple on this page, (if you weed through all the posts there is a lot of knowledge here)it's definately not a bike for beginners but if you do get one (or did get one) Get saftey gear and RESPECT THE BIKE!!! It's a monster but if you start off slow and careful and REALLY paranoid you should do OK. I bought it for the looks too. What I tell everyone is, If it were a 250 I still would have bought it but the fact of the matter is it's not. So please respect it and you will grow with it.

Falcon,
You are making the hair stand up on the back of my neck just thinking of that. You really ought to go to a superbike racing school, it will give you the opportunity to get to know the bike's and your own limits in the proper environment.

Easy does it!

Sorry, but the cold hard facts are that any bike can get you into trouble. A 60 mph accident is enough to mame or kill you... this can be done on some scooters. The facts are simple, either our friend Ares is a responsible, intelligent rider that will move up the learning curve slowly, or he's not. There are many arguements that can be made why this bike may even be a better buy for him than the smaller cc bikes, but all that doesn't matter. Everytime I merge onto a busy Southern California freeway I take a risk of endagering my life. Not because of the displacement of bike I ride, but rather the looney's I share the road with. So to combat this I ride out of blind spots, signal my turns, and am reluctant to split lanes, etc. There are two kinds of motorcyle accidents... the ones that the rider could have avoided by using some brain cells (on any bike), or the ones that get you no matter what you are on. True displacement means speed.. and speed means potential trouble, but it's the rider that twists the throttle. We can all be blamed at some point for getting into a turn a little too hot or getting too aggressive with the trigger, but all we can do as riders on the streets is limit those occasions and pray that drivers don't get us in the end. By the way, anytime you go down with O.E.M. bodywork involved it's not cheap regardless of size!

Good luck Ares!

I just read all the posts on this thread.
I'm going home, locking myself in my room and pulling the covers over my head!

Ares, Dingo, Headhunta, Falcon.
Dont take this the wrong way, you guys are playing with fire. One of you guys will probably be dead this time next year.

Better to die young having fun than to get old and end up with a diaper full of poop and slobber running down your chin.

Was 16 in 1972 and first bike was Mach 3 kawa 750triple.....fastest thing out.......go for it!!! Still here and kicking......busa`s stock are fast but to compare with a good 10 grand engine they are slow. I`d be afraid of a good 1500cc Z-1 more than a new busa...at least they have a suspension.

KONG, we really dont need to hear about your personal habits, maybe you should try the Depend's web site. They may be able to deal with your personal crap.

WOW That was a damn good troll or what 27 responses Hey I would like to sell that guy some life insurance, that,s if I could be the beneficiary I remember when I was eight years old the kid across the street let me ride his RM 80 I wacked the throttle wide open and SMACKED my Dads truck I could just see this guy doing this. sad but funny

Great comparison..... an eight year old to an adult male that goes 6'1", 210 lbs. This guys has been riding dirt bikes for years, so obviously he knows a bit about power to weight, wheelies and such. The hardest part about learning a bike is getting the hand and feet coodinated, and then to get comfy using all the controls. His mechanics are there, he has great size... cut the dude some slack.

Johnny, under the covers is where you need to be if you think any motorcycle is safe. Anytime you go out on two wheels with no sheet metal protection, seat belts, or air bags, it's a risk no matter what you are on.

Kong, well maybe a little more along the lines of "you only live once" may have been a tad better suited!

Finally, this thread is full of jealous riders who can't stand to be happy for someone that has an oppotunity to ride one of these great bikes early on. Just imagine how much money you could have saved going to this model from the beginning..... or whatever was fastest at the time. A lot of you folks would rather beat down another rider than to support him and encourage him in his efforts. It's human nature to do what you are told not to do, and in this situation the guy has made up his mind. Ares, get the bike... take a saftey course and enjoy! For the rest of you that were forced to ride smaller bikes growing up and constantly got your ass handed to you by big bore bikes, think of it as a learning experience. I'm sure you became better riders out of it!

I like to see as many Busa riders out there as I can, after all, it's a bigger challenge for me.

Never2nd

If you are big and strong enough to fit and handle the bike, that is the first thing an inexperienced street rider needs to keep his skin on his body. The next thing he needs is the maturity and good judgement to keep that power from corrupting him. Ride your new 'Busa at 60 mph? Yeah right, for about the first two weeks. You are dancing with the devil in the blue dress, and eventually she will seduce you. You get that bike, you are gonna go fast.

The thing no school or anything else can replace for experience is that sixth sense of where on the road the dangers are. The sand, the oil, the slippery stuff from recent pavement repairs, those white arrows that get slick when it rains. You need about 30,000 miles in traffic (and maybe a roadrash or two) before you are a true roads scholar. That's life.

I'd rather drop a 5 year old 750 than a new 1300, especially with all that bodywork...forget about maiming yourself, the $$$$ would make me pause. I'm glad I learned on a Honda 360, twenty years ago. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 27 July 1999).]

Back