New 08 owner, need help-mud flap removal!

Mewn

Registered
Hiyas,
Just got a left over 08 Red/Black for $9500! I bought a set of R77 carbon slip ons and a rear plate holder with a led light. Todays project is supposed to be installing the slip ons and plate holder. 4 bolts remove the mud flap and a wire is hanging down connected to the plate light. I took off the rear hump and just can not see where that wire goes. Every think I have looked at says to unplug it! So I decided to take the plastic undertail section out, my reflector screws just spin. Are there nuts behind them in an impossible spot to get to? My plate holder has a light on it so I need to hook into the existing wires... Anyone have a link to instructions on how to remove either the stock undertail plastic or what am I supposed to be doing here lol! I can cut and splice the wires but that does not get my reflectors off...
Also whats the best method for sticker removal?
HELP!

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

:welcome:If your not going to use your mud flap cut the connector off of it and connect it to the plate light and plug it into the wire coming from the bike. And yes there are nuts on thise bolts. 08 is Org/Blk.:thumbsup:I used a heat gun, but a hair dryer will work.

Last edited:
:welcome:If your not going to use your mud flap cut the connector off of it and connect it to the plate light and plug it into the wire coming from the bike. And yes there are nuts on thise bolts. 08 is Org/Blk.:thumbsup:I used a heat gun. but a hair dryer will work.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply BusaWizard. Sorry about that. It is Orange, but there are some Red stickers on it! :) Any tips on getting the nuts off of the back of the reflectors?

Reflectors are a pain in the ass, the way I did it is I took the rear signals out, held the nut with my fingers and used a wrench to get rid off the reflectors.

Im in the process of removing the fender too, there is a WHITE connector type thing on the LEFT side when youre standing in the rear of the bike. You have to pull the plastic "wall" to be able to unconnect it. Right now im having a dillema on how to hook up my LED bolts but thats a different story since I was a moron and CUT the connector.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply BusaWizard. Sorry about that. It is Orange, but there are some Red stickers on it! :) Any tips on getting the nuts off of the back of the reflectors?
go to your local massage parlor and after getting one of those "HAPPY ENDINGS" you can ask the girl to see if her tiny hands will fit up in there and be able to hold the nuts for you (on the back of the reflector of course)
man get your head out of the gutter...lol

Reflectors are a pain in the ass, the way I did it is I took the rear signals out, held the nut with my fingers and used a wrench to get rid off the reflectors.

Im in the process of removing the fender too, there is a WHITE connector type thing on the LEFT side when youre standing in the rear of the bike. You have to pull the plastic "wall" to be able to unconnect it. Right now im having a dillema on how to hook up my LED bolts but thats a different story since I was a moron and CUT the connector.

Thanks, the turn signal removal did it. Now I just have to worry about getting the nuts back on after removal! EEK!
I cut my wires 2 inches from the stock plate light in case I ever have to reconnect them.

Thanks, the turn signal removal did it. Now I just have to worry about getting the nuts back on after removal! EEK!
I cut my wires 2 inches from the stock plate light in case I ever have to reconnect them.

Just FYI I used a bendy stick with a magnet on the end to remove and replace the nuts. Even worked to pull the wrench out that I dropped inside.. :whistle:

The inner decals pull off real easy, but the tank decals will require blow dryer and some gumgone or similar product. Hope I spelled that right maybe gugone ...

I got some extra plastic push pins like what hold the faring on to fill the holes where the reflector bolts were. It looks great.

Those reflectors are tough, but glad you got 'em. Nice 'Vette, BTW.

Using your drivers license or simlar piece of plastic that is real thin also helps on getting the stickers off, I WOULD NOT use acetone, there is a chance it could dull or remove the paint.

NO, NO!!! Not Acetone on paint!!
No acetone on plastic. Works just fine on new cured painted metal, especially with a clear coat, to remove adhesives. :cookoo:

You guys use hydrochloric acid acetone or something? LOL If I called it fingernail polish remover would that sound less threatening?

Just make sure to follow up with a cleaner wax and seal the paint because it will strip off whatever is on there.

Last edited:
the tank graphics are cleared in are they not??? can they really be removed?? im half tempted to go outside right now and look, i could have sworn they were cleared in.

Reflectors are easy to remove. I did this with my bike on the side stand.

When the nuts start spinning pull down slightly on the bracket and keep turning the screwdriver. You will hear the nuts fall off. Tap the undertail lightly upward in the area where you just removed the brackets. You will hear the nuts jingling around in there. Give it a good tap and the nuts will fall all the way forward and down. There is a small gap between the panels under the passenger footpeg and you can get to the nuts there with a magnet or a small hook.

On the left side gravity captures the nuts in a little pocket in the side panel and you can get them with a little extendable magnet looking down with the rear seat or hump removed.

Took me maybe 5 minutes for the front and back reflectors and no panels needed to be removed, pried on or forced.

Last edited:
Back