Motorcyclist killed by falling tree

DAB

Registered
"Thousands of homes and businesses had no electricity Sunday from Maryland to Maine as a storm system blasted the region with winds gusting to more than 50 mph, knocking over trees and a construction crane. The storm was blamed for at least two deaths.

Gusts of 70 mph were possible Sunday in northern New York state, the National Weather Service said.

A falling tree killed a motorcyclist in Massachusetts, police said. In New Hampshire, one man was missing after falling off a cruise ship on Lake Winnipesaukee during the storm late Saturday, and one man drowned when his kayak overturned on a rain-swollen river, state officials said."

I nearly had this happen to me once, a storm-damaged tree fell in between myself and a friend who was ahead of me when we were out riding in the UK. We were about 50 feet apart.

Makes you think about the timing of these incidents and how you can be in the wrong place at the right time...

Anyone else out there had some near misses?

The tree thing happened to me in a car once while driving down a back road near home. Damn thing fell right on me and pushed me off the road.
I don't mean it fell in the road in front of me and I hit it, I mean it fell DIRECTLY on top of my car as I drove past. It was like it was waiting for me.

There really wasn't any damage to the Trans Am other than some scratches but I had to walk home and get a chainsaw to cut the tree away from the car because it was trapped in the upper branches.

It still blows my mind that my luck can be that bad, I mean one or two seconds faster or slower and it wouldn't have hit me at all.

i hate it for the guy and his family. a strange way to die.
i hope a tree falling is not my instrument of destruction.

I guess that when it's your time it's your time. There was the family on I-70 who had the bridge girder fall on them. They were the only ones around when it happened. How do you explain the timing of a freak accident like that?

(Big Wall @ Oct. 29 2006,17:59) I guess that when it's your time it's your time.  There was the family on I-70 who had the bridge girder fall on them.  They were the only ones around when it happened.  How do you explain the timing of a freak accident like that?
you can not answer it. the lord will take us when and where he is ready for us. it leaves us humans in awe and shock when we understand that we control nothing.

I was riding in Chicago with my buddies, stopped at a stop sign and a huge branch fell next to me hitting my left arm. Nasty cut. ... If i were 8 inches to the left , I would have had a hole in my noggin!.. yup, not wearing a helmet!!! :(

Any of you remember american Eagle Flight 4184 that crashed outside of chicago on halloween of 1994?

I was supposed to be on that plane.

Hit a small dove at about 65 square in the chest, bird died, wind knocked out of me and I rode home shaking from the incident!

Sunny FL> We got 50 on nearly road an highway when those huge palm branches peel away an fall off you definitely don't want to be under em.. lets not even mention the coconuts:whistle:

Back