Microfiche CD Review

G

I've been testing/reviewing Gary's Hayabusa Microfiche CD this evening and can say that it is a very nice production indeed. I was expecting an adequate job but this CD is a very well made and professionally done job. The CD is nicely labeled - no plain jane vanilla wrapper here. It has a nice pic of a Busa on it as well as a couple of small sample pics of the fuel tank and rear upper tail section diagrams of the Busa on it. While containing all of the Hayabusa Microfiche available from Suzuki the CD also comes with a few extra bonus surprises like various Hayabusa jpeg pics, TLR, TLS, Misc bike pics (a few babes too!) AND the TLR [The Learning Channel] Extreme Machines Busa video.[thanks Jeff W.?] Having the TLC Busa video on CD will free up over 16 meg on several of my PC's! I also noticed the Y2K Red/Gray factory photo AND the BLUE/SILVER factory photo was included in the Busa pic section. Wasn't someone looking for that Blue Y2K factory pic? The entire layout is VERY user friendly and extra steps have been taken to make it so. For instance - Acrobat reader should be used for easiest access to the Microfiche diagrams but it also works well with the photo galleries. Thumbnails of the current gallery align the smaller left hand column allowing convenient point and click access of each individual jpeg which is then displayed full size in the large main viewing window. A text menu with main catagories is available in the left hand column when accessing the Busa microfiche diagrams. Sub-catagories are accessed via pull down menus by a simple click of the mouse. Main catagories for the Microfiche access include: Preface, Color Chart, Service Publications, Part Number Listing, Indexed and Grouped. Clicking on the Index catagory drops a long pull down menu with a multitude of different sections/areas of the bike like : speedometer, tail lamp, starter clutch, cowling body, electrical, crank balancer etc etc [in alphabetical order] This provides for quick and easy access to the microfiche you need without going though all of them. After clicking on the needed area the microfiche is automatically displayed in the main viewing window and those areas with multiple pages are all available just by clicking on the right margin bar [scroll bar] of the main viewing window. (1 page per click in regular view) I specify regular view since zoom-in and zoom-out functions are built in to the Acrobat reader. So are print and find functions. In other words you can zoom in on small parts and print if needed. It took me about 1 minute to locate a couple of fairing fasteners I've been needing part numbers for. Each diagram contains the reference number, part number, description and quantity. Reference number is used to indicate the part itself in the diagram which is pointed to by a single integer(reference number) The Acrobat reader is included on the CD in case you don't already have it or don't have internet access on the PC you use the CD on. Also - each and every image [including the microfiche scans] on the CD is also provided in jpeg format for use with other image viewers in case you need to cut, paste, modify, add text, crop etc. This CD should be an ***et not only for regular maintanance/part replacements but especially for those into modding their Busas. Having access to the exact part numbers will also allow me to use mail-order and internet part sources for extra savings over regular dealer prices. The microfiche scans are crisp and clear. I'm using 1024x768 on my 20" monitor and it looks fantastic. This isn't Gary's first time to produce this kind of CD for a bike and his past experience shows. Thanks for allowing me to test the Busa microfiche CD Gary.

The link to purchase or view samples of Gary's Hayabusa microfiche is :
http://www.fj1100.com/hoc.htm

I want to thank Todd for testing the CD for me, and posting this review. It's always hard to proof your own work.

I have another little perk to offer people who join HOC and get the CD. I have ordered a Yoshimura AFMS box to adjust your fuel injection if you install aftermarket pipes, etc. If you do your own wrenching, the box is yours to use for the cost of shipping both ways. A deposit would be required (haven't quite worked that out yet). This will also be shared with the TL owners in the TLOC. Each member can have the box for 1 week, at which time it will be returned for the next user. You ***ume all responsibility for the results of its use. I cannot be responsible. The great thing about the Yosh box is once you adjust your FI system, you remove the box, unlike the DJ PC II, which has to stay with the box. I have the DJ on my TL, so I purchased this just for the club members to use.

I’m still open to ideas on how to guarantee the unit is returned in good condition. As of now the only option is the user sends a deposit for $250, which is returned when the box is received back in good condition. Your input is welcome.

Gary

Hi Gary, remember me from the TLR message board? Glen (TX) gave your CD a good rap, so I will send some money for you next week I hope. Just paid for a new rear tyre today, blew my spare change for a while. Damn I go through tyres quick.

Anyway, I know your CD for the TL guys has the TLS and TLR microfiche stuff, does it have the 'Busa stuff as well or is that a separate item? What about the 'Busa video from Extreme Machines? Thanks.

Is the video the TLC video? Don't know what the extreme machines video is but if you point me in the right direction, I'll download it and include it for sure.

The Busa is a different CD. Put together the same though.

Hi, I have a CD Burner and would give copys burnt onto cd's I will provide for free to anyone who asks..

now if one of you guys will send me the files or post them for me to ftp to my comp. This is the wild west and if you think you can charge for this stuff cool but if I get ahold
of the cd it's going out for free..

now someone contact me ! I'm sure were all dying to get the microfiche...25 bucks give me a break..

btw i am on cable !

lapdancer@usa.net

Black Bus, I really don't think you have a clue as to how much time and work it is to do what Gary did for others.

It may be differant when you "burn" Microsoft, but when you $burn$ you own comrads.

"Rope Burn" should be your screen name.

I don't think Gary will be buying a new fifty foot sailboat with the money he takes in from this, and you want to scuttle him before he even has a life preserver. It is easy to see what line you would be in on the Titantic, hope you don't get panties in a wad over the comments you recieved here.

But please, "Woman and Children first!"

If you think Gary's product is worth stealing then why don't you just buy his stock when he goes public and then you can captain your own ship when the Gary's Busasoft marches past Microsoft.

Or is it "the American way for you", go and buy the Suzuki Fiche $3 from your dealer and make a better version and just give away the CD's.

Blank CD's are about $1.13 if you buy a 100 pc. spindle without cases. So sign me up for your version and yes I want you to pay shipping as well.

In the "Wild West" what happened to horse theives? :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( thirteen countem!

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 10 October 1999).]

I'd rather pay the 25 bucks and have piece of mind. A lot of hard work went into this project and I can appreciate that. When you gonna accept credit cards............??

Hey Black Bus, so you don't think it's worth anything to get hold of the entire microfiche (somehow), then scan in the enormous amount of data, probably paying through the nose for facilities to scan from microfiche, then clean and compile all the relevant files, and add all the other interesting information?

I am not affiliated with Gary, but I am a businessman who also makes my income from my own efforts. I can appreciate what he has done here. I also know he has a good reputation from the TLR sites.

You think that just because IT IS EASY for you to copy someone's months of hard work that it is ok? If Gary left his wallet next to you and it was EASY for you to steal it, would you do that too?

I am a regular at the TLR message board, and we watched the progress of this "microfiche" thing develop over months, complete with the hassles of trying to get them scanned, and provide something of value to the board members. I can remember all the good board members offering to pay for the information in response to poor Gary almost giving up when he realised the enormity of the project.

How much do you think Suzuki would charge?? You know how much the service manual costs. You are so clever, Black Bus. Let us see YOU get hold of all the fiche data, see YOU pay to get it all scanned, do all the work, etc etc.

I could imagine copying something from Microsoft, hell they are rich enough already, but you are talking about a fellow bike rider who has gone to a lot of effort to make something precious. Something Suzuki probably NEVER would have made for you. Something Honda, Kawa riders etc can't get for their bikes.

I apologise to everyone here for preaching. Story time. Years ago when I was a kid, I found a $10 note when walking with my Dad. Dad made me take it down the Police staion and hand it in - lost property. He said simply, it didn't belong to me. Sounds silly by todays standards doesn't it?

Just think, next time some sugar breaks into your home, or steals your bike, it is because normal people like you and me have let everything slip. No moral standards anymore. I am only 34, but even so I can see a world that has gone VERY downhill from what it used to be. Welcome to the wild west.

I checked into the credit card thing. It's way to expensive to do that. I'd rather keep the cost down. I was actually looking at it to use as a way of getting a deposit on the Yosh box, but some companies said to accept credit cards over the phone/net I had to front a $10k deposit. I have some friends in retail in the area that I asked if they would accept CC orders and I'd give them a percentage. Same story from all of them. Too much overhead to take credit card orders over the phone. I'll keep looking though.

With the FJ CD I must have had 15 people stuff $ in an envelope with some cardboard on both sides and send it. Certainly not my prefered method of ordering stuff, but there was never a lost order. The real problem was some of the overseas banks chard them $20 for a US check. They felt it was worth the gamble...and I guess it paid off. I just can't be responsible for it though.

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 11 October 1999).]

99TLR said it all. Black Bus, if you would pull crap like this you are not in the wild west, you are in the gutter.
I hope no one on this forum gives any encouragement to Black Bus.

I appreciate all who stand behind the project. I know I cannot control who makes copies, and I hope people will order from me, as it was a ton of work. I am also trying to offer things like use of the Yoshimura AFMS box to make it worth the money. It's unfortunate I will have to require a full deposit for use of the Yosh box as there are always people like this who will not send the box back and screw us all. People who take the CD and copy it for their friends are not really people I want to deal with anyway.

I know it will happen, but it's a shame they have to be so blatant with it on the board.

P.S. Black Bus, I can only hope you NEED to order parts more than anyone else.

They are one in the same. The TLC video included on my CD is from the show Extreme Machines and is aired on TLC. This video is the segment from Extreme Machines that featured the Hayabusa.

Back