Looking For Inputs On Gen I Transmission Repair / Replace

Shaun Ketterman

Registered
Narrowed down the issue I had with my '07 Busa 'misfire' at upper RPM's in 1st and 2nd gear to the transmission slipping out of gear. Hoping to get some input from as many as possible on the best option moving forward.

1. New OEM Tranny - Crazy expensive, not really interested in this route, unless all other options are too high of a risk. I'm also not convinced that a Busa is the bike for me, and would genuinely prefer a liter bike. So spending the cash for a new one, if I intend to sell, doesn't seem logical.

2. Used OEM Tranny - Lots of these on Ebay pulled from various year and mileage bikes. Price ranges from ~300.00 up to ~2000.00. Super cheap, but at what risk? Some list the actual year and mileage of the bike, some, I believe, have also been undercut. This would be the cheapest option in terms of labor, as well, since they don't have to disassemble everything. Just remove the old, plug in the 'new'.

3. Undercutting service - I know what this is, but would like to hear some success stories from those who have gone that route. I couple of shops I spoke to locally said they would absolutely NOT recommend doing this. I would need to have 1st and 2nd gear fixed. I've read up about these being used for 'air shifted' transmissions and drag racing. I don't even know what the hell the former means, and drag racing is not something I'm into. The problem here, is I feel like I'd end up spending hundreds on shipping a transmission. Plus, bike is my dd, so not sure what I would do in the interim.

Overall, I think eBay might be my first choice, personally. Are all 1st gen tranny's interchangeable? Or should I inquire with the seller what year bike a given tranny was pulled from?

Any and all input is appreciated!

Shaun

Last edited:
POWERHOUSE MOTORCYCLES has transmissions - even damaged ones - undercut all the time. Normally, 2nd and top gear do not need to be replaced, there is usually enough "meat" on the engagement dogs to make the repair. We do this on normally aspirated and big hp turbo bikes. This is definitely the way to go - I would recommend you get the entire transmission undercut, its $395 to get it done and your old trans will shift like butter. If 2nd gear has been slipping, check the shift forks for scrapes - any shift fork with marks on it needs to be replaced. BTW, I send all my transmissions to Robinson Industries - him and I have been friends for well over thirty years, and all my stuff gets done quickly. We will be happy to fix yours, it will be better than new . . . just send it to me at the shop. Feel free to call me or email if you have any questions . . .

Narrowed down the issue I had with my '07 Busa 'misfire' at upper RPM's in 1st and 2nd gear to the transmission slipping out of gear. Hoping to get some input from as many as possible on the best option moving forward.

1. New OEM Tranny - Crazy expensive, not really interested in this route, unless all other options are too high of a risk. I'm also not convinced that a Busa is the bike for me, and would genuinely prefer a liter bike. So spending the cash for a new one, if I intend to sell, doesn't seem logical.

2. Used OEM Tranny - Lots of these on Ebay pulled from various year and mileage bikes. Price ranges from ~300.00 up to ~2000.00. Super cheap, but at what risk? Some list the actual year and mileage of the bike, some, I believe, have also been undercut. This would be the cheapest option in terms of labor, as well, since they don't have to disassemble everything. Just remove the old, plug in the 'new'.

3. Undercutting service - I know what this is, but would like to hear some success stories from those who have gone that route. I couple of shops I spoke to locally said they would absolutely NOT recommend doing this. I would need to have 1st and 2nd gear fixed. I've read up about these being used for 'air shifted' transmissions and drag racing. I don't even know what the hell the former means, and drag racing is not something I'm into. The problem here, is I feel like I'd end up spending hundreds on shipping a transmission. Plus, bike is my dd, so not sure what I would do in the interim.

Overall, I think eBay might be my first choice, personally. Are all 1st gen tranny's interchangeable? Or should I inquire with the seller what year bike a given tranny was pulled from?

Any and all input is appreciated!

Shaun
What about the hanging revs and strange rev increase? Could a g/box mechanical fault cause engine running problems?, if so, maybe I have a similar fault on mine?
I got the new stator/ckps this morning, so, I'll be fitting that and will post an update.

If your bike was having these issues in second gear, when the trans was "skipping", I would say yes. If this issue was occurring in fifth gear, I would say no.

Just thought I'd post an update of my progress here Shaun, I fitted the new ckps/stator winding assembly and took it out for a test.
IT'S FIXED.
The bike took off like a scolded cat, the rear tire broke loose, with little throttle movement, it sailed past 9000rpm, didn't miss a beat, no codes, smooth and strong power delivery, across the entire rev range, it's like a new bike, also the bogging down, from tickover upto 3000rpm has all but gone.
Just thought I'd fill you in first because we had/have similar odd engine running problems, so, before you strip the g/box, 100% eliminate your ckps, I did similar tests to you and it checked out and a few people I spoke too said it wouldn't cause my problems.

Just thought I'd post an update of my progress here Shaun, I fitted the new ckps/stator winding assembly and took it out for a test.
IT'S FIXED.
The bike took off like a scolded cat, the rear tire broke loose, with little throttle movement, it sailed past 9000rpm, didn't miss a beat, no codes, smooth and strong power delivery, across the entire rev range, it's like a new bike, also the bogging down, from tickover upto 3000rpm has all but gone.
Just thought I'd fill you in first because we had/have similar odd engine running problems, so, before you strip the g/box, 100% eliminate your ckps, I did similar tests to you and it checked out and a few people I spoke too said it wouldn't cause my problems.

Just saw your other thread, awesome news! And noted, I will certainly give that a shot. I may actually trade the Busa in this week...still waiting to speak to another dealer that has a zx-10 :-)

That's a shame, I've never ridden a kwak, so I can't compare them but this is my second busa, I've just always liked suzukis but it would be a shame to move it on, before you find the problem.

Back