Happy B-Day Mrs. Captain

Guys thanks for the well wishes for Kristie... We had a fantastic time last night at a little shin dig we pulled off last night.. We completely suprised her with a party of about 65 people last night. Many close friends and family were there, Professor and his wife were able to attend and it was just such a fantastic night to have so many people there for one cause... Normally I would not stand up and make a speech but the night was for my wife and I think it was a great opportunity to stand before my friends completely out of my comfort zone and just announce my Love for my wife.. I thought I would share a small speech that I uncomfortably read out to the group... If you have ever met my wife you know she is true, sincere and the nicest person you could ever want as a friend.... Thanks guys for remembering her birthday and professor thanks for showing up and speding time with us......

My friends and family…..
One summer day many years ago when Kristie and I had only been married a short time we were out with Kristie’s parents and her brother. We were the country I believe in Texas and we came across a small sign that offered airplane rides. Dan waned to pay for Kristie to send her on a short flight over the community we were at. Kristie having never been on an airplane was slightly hesitant but her desire for excitement outweighed her fears. Dan, Kristie and Scott boarded this small single engine plane and with no more seats open. This left Kristie’s mom and I standing together on the ground. The plane took off and circled around and flew over our heads just a few hundred feet up my mother in law in the most serious voice says to me “Everyone I love is in that plane I hope nothing happens to them” I stood there staring at her until she realized what she had said. We laughed a long time over that comment, I stand here tonight and I think to myself “I think all the people I love are in this room”.

I’ve asked you all here tonight to help me to celebrate the birth of my dear wife Kristie. While we have much fun with people when they turn 40 and poke at them we seldom take time to look at the accomplishments they have achieved. I always thought it was ironic that in many cases people say the nicest things about others at the funeral after they have died. In our time of mourning we often recall the good times and tell stories to remember the person that has passed on. I don’t want to wait to share those memories with others, I don’t want to wait to tell people how great my wife is, I want us to share those experiences tonight.

I want my wife to know (Kristie) that I love you so very much and you fill such a large part of my life that I don’t know how I could ever fill it if you weren’t there. I want you to know tonight, right now that Lord willing you have many many more years on this earth. I want you to look around and see that you are surrounded by friends and family that love you and want to celebrate your birthday with you. What a fantastic 40 years it has been and I can’t wait for 40 more.
Kristie Renee King was born May 15th 1971 to her parents Dan and Letha Miears in Duncan Oklahoma. She went to Duncan elementary, middle and started high school there too. Kristie came to Newcastle when her father was called to serve at the Newcastle First Baptist church, I took Kristie to Mazzios for lunch on Sunday after Dan performed the church service when he was in view of a call. Kristie was 16 and I 18 and we have been inseparable since then. Kristie moved to Davis her senior year where Dan served at the Davis First Baptist Church. I commuted many many miles over the next year while courting my soon to be wife. We were married in Davis, when she was just 6 months out of highschool, that was 23 years ago. We made our home in a small 630 square foot apartment that was just big enough for us both, it wasn’t much but we were together and that’s all we wanted. Kristie started working at Baptist Hospital in our first year of marriage and has been there 20 years now. We lived 5 peaceful, quiet, fun filled years before our first son was born, Evan came into this world and brought a whole new outlook for Kristie. To watch a woman that wanted kids so much, love him, nurture him and care for him was amazing, Evan is no longer a small boy but a 17 year old young man almost ready to take on this world. 5 years after Evan, Tristan arrived, what a joy that child has been, free spirited, fun and silly. Again to see Kristie with the boys is to see her at her best, she loves being a mother.

I close these comments to you now with a realization I came to just a few years ago. I used to believe that Kristie was getting better with age, I was wrong… Kristie has been perfect since the day I fell in love with her, she has been an outstanding mother an unbelievably patient, supportive and loving wife. Kristie hasn’t changed at all, over the past 23 years. I realized that as I grow older my perception of my wife has matured, she has been perfect and beautiful this whole time I just never appreciated it as much as I do now. Kristie, thank you for being my best friend, Happy 40th birthday.

cap

Back