Full exhaust or not?

HayabusainSC

Registered
I have a 2002 that's completly stock. I plan on purchasing the yoshimura R-22 Stainless Full System but after some researching I've noticed that just about everyone states that a powercommander or similar device is needed. If I put a full exhaust on the bike will this make the bike run bad? I'm not looking to get a huge power gain right now but I'd rather buy the whole system, get it installed and go from there. Would that be a mistake?

They only suggest for the best performance and HP you might wanna go get that baby tuned in right with a PC. Plus your gonna get a PC further down the road anyways right? But why would a full upgrade make it run any worse? Dont tell me your worried about gas mileage.

No, not worried about gas mielage but opening the pipes up and removing back pressure without adjusting fuel/air mixture had me a little unsure. I understand that I will not get maximum HP without getting it tuned but I don't want any backfiring/sputtering or rough idling between mod's. Thanks

The PC3 won't literally get you a "huge" power gain but it will certainly wake your bike up at lower RPMs. The bike is setup to optimize fuel economy in the cruising rpm range by leaning it out. Adding the PC3 will dump more fuel in this area and really give the bike a shot in the arm so to speak. I think you'd be quite happy with the results - check out the classifieds, there's always someone selling a used PC3 for $150-200. As long as you get the USB version you should be just fine with a used unit. (not saying the R is bad but it's got a history of losing maps and someone might be unloading it just for that very reason so I'd suggest you steer clear of the R and get a USB).

i ran a full exhaust system [ yosh] on my 06 for about a year before getting a PC. did not have any problems.

I think with the yosh you can do this because of the low gain / difference.

I have a 2002 that's completly stock. I plan on purchasing the yoshimura R-22 Stainless Full System but after some researching I've noticed that just about everyone states that a powercommander or similar device is needed. If I put a full exhaust on the bike will this make the bike run bad? I'm not looking to get a huge power gain right now but I'd rather buy the whole system, get it installed and go from there. Would that be a mistake?

I have the very same problem. I must go with full system, but problem is which one??? 4-1 or 4-2-1 or maybe 4-2-1-2 (HMF dual high mount). I put lots of mileage on my bike (20K miles a year). I don't race, or drag. I like HMF dual high mount system. It looks so cool from the back. Those 2 huge pipes high from the ground. I was planning to make a custom one as shipping from US is around $300!!! almost half the price of full system. I don't know the dimensions or diameter of headers, mid-pipes, etc. I am trying to save some cash to get it, but as I said which version??? Maybe something that screams with that bass sound when you rev it. Any ideas??? please help. Do I really need PC3 or maybe ECU flash will do??? I am going crazy with all those choices:) any help, any ideas will be appreciated.:please::please::please:

ecu flash I have been watching and seeing only good things, I think the pc111 is the old way and the ecu flash is the new and cheaper way. 180 for it complete and shipped and a shift light from boost by smith and it's a great looking piece. I cant wait till may (my birthday) the wife said she would buy it for me........

Back