Front brakes sticking after steel braided line install........HELP PLEASE.

I replaced all my brake lines with braided ones, and went to the track the next day. I bled them repeatedly for quite some time, at least 3 reservoirs through them, but there seems to be a problem. They are sticking. Could there still be air in the lines? Is this a common problem? Any other options? I plan on bleeding them some more on Wednesday (my next chance off work), but am looking for any advice.

Thank you.

heya, there is something odd going on. the act of replacing rubber brake hoses with braided by itself will have no effect on brake drag. its like changing a garden hose, then saying now the faucet sticks on.

however... either your bleed procedure, or your actual install method may have caused issue.

First, tell us why you say they are sticking?

Tell us how you changed lines?

Did you take the calipers off and put new pads as well?

If you pushed the pistons back in for new pads, I would guess you need to take apart the calipers and give them a good, thouough, cleaning. Check my thread that is stickied in the maintenance section for a step by step.

No, I only replaced the hoses. No when riding it, it feels like I have 2 fingers on the front brakes. They are definitely sticking. I can squeeze the brakes a few times, and sometimes it lets off, but the next time I hit the brakes again, they don't. It's weird. Only thing I can think is air in the lines, but I didn't know that would cause this problem.

could be like mine and the pistons in your caliper are ungodly dirty, and you didnt have enough force to completely push them out with stock lines and as soon as the braided ones go on the pistons push out further than they have been and wham stuck

Did you get that little spring clip that holds the pads apart in wrong? Maybe the pads aren't pushing away from the discs properly. Air in the lines would stop you from adding pressure to the lines, not stop them froom retunrning.

Fallen, I didn't take the pads apart. Only replaced the lines. But what you're saying about air in the lines is exactly what I thought. I will take everything apart this Wednesday and service the calipers and re-bleed. We'll see what happens.

Fallen, I didn't take the pads apart. Only replaced the lines. But what you're saying about air in the lines is exactly what I thought. I will take everything apart this Wednesday and service the calipers and re-bleed. We'll see what happens.

Then these guys must be right who guessed dirt of stuck piston. Was hoping for an easy answer - good luck!

Back