Final Word on Valve Noise

05 Busa LE

Donating Member
Registered
I've read every post on new Hayabusa owners worried about valve noise and adjustment. My question is this: has anyone ever had, or heard of, a valve adjustment that was necessary (that is, required shims) on a virtually new (say, for example, 1,000-2,000 miles) Hayabusa? Maybe some of the more mechanically-inclined out there can advise us all. Thanks.

I just saw that you are in Philadelphia too. When I finally get my Busa, we are going to have to go for a ride. As for the valve adjustment shim replacement with such low mileage, I might say that you might want to be a little concerned but if there is indeed anything wrong, it should be covered under warranty. I had a GSXR 750 that was completely rebuilt at Bike Works in Glenside by Rich and that motor didn't need a valve adjustment for close to 6000 miles, I mean some hard miles.

After reading all the worried posts about valve noises, I wondered if any actually HAD to be adjusted. Can't imagine that would be the case, but you never know. Let me know when the bike's ready, greeninc ... always up for a ride (in good weather).

I can't imagine it would need adjusted unless maybe the timing is a little off... Maybe they are off a tooth or so... I would take it back and have it warrantied, rather then TS this yoruself...

Cloud

When the valves finally do need adjustment you won't hear it anyways. The valves get tighter as the shims wear.
wink.gif

Thanks for the responses; however, to clarify: mine doesn't need shims or an adjustment. I hear some minor noise--usually after a long ride--and was curious, after reading all the posts, if anyone ever actually needed shims on a "new" bike. Good points, though.

The only noise I've hear is the clattering/rattle when the bike is cold. I think it's probably the camchain or adjuster. Anyway it disappears once the engine reaches operating temp. Many have posted about this on the board and the more experienced say it's not a problem.
idea.gif

Back