Earl...what oil are you using?

OB_Paul Johns

Registered
Earl, I took your advice about 4 oil changes in the first 1000 miles. First time I'd heard this but it's gotta be good. The Bus sure isn't designed for a DIY oil change! It's a challenge to swap out the filter.
What oil are you using and what do you think about synthetics during break-in? I've heard that you shouldn't use them until after 2000 miles because they retard the surface mating process.

I use golden-spectro from day one---I buy my bikes in the crate and have the opportunity to clean disc and assemble the way it should be done. There is still a lot of controversity on sysn oil during breakin. I know all the high pro car makers supply their cars with syn. oil and will void youre warrenty if you use anything elso. Anyway---the Golden-Spectro has always worked well.

Golden Spectro...that's a new one on me. Who makes it and where is it available? Is it synthetic? What sold you on that brand?
I've been pretty much sold on Mobil One and Bel-Ray oils. I had a great experience with my TL1000R using the new Mobil One tri-synthetic 0W/30W formula. The super low viscosity made cold starts instantaneous and seemed to deliver a bit more power at high rpm. The Mobil tech guys cautioned me that the automotive friction modifiers might cause clutch slipping but I never found that to be a problem.

Back