Drain Bolt

TexBusa

Registered
Does anyone know if the drain bolt is supposed to have a lock washer?  The drain bolt on my '04 Busa doesn't seem to be locking down tight and I have some fresh oil dripping out of the bottom now.  If I do need a lock washer, is it best to get one from the dealer or will any lock washer do?

your oil drain bolt has crush washer. it should be on the bolt, you need always to tight it a little more. do not over tighten it or you will strip the bolt. so just get your wrench & turn it extra of a 1\8 of a turn & the leak should stop.

When I put the bolt back on, I didn't see any washer on it. It may have fallen off when the bolt went into the drain pan. Is this an item that most dealers carry, or will they have to order it?

they should have it in stock. you can check your drain pan if it is in there. but usaully these washers will not come out unless you use a screw driver to pull it out. i am sure that it was on the bolt & you didn't realiseit. just tight your bolt extra 1\8 of a turn & clean the oil spots & check it out.

Seems like that worked....just worries me that I will need to keep on checking it to make sure that I am not slowly losing oil.

After the leak stopped I took it out for a spin and it started dripping again. Have you seen if it is the bolt or the thread in the pan that gets stripped?

yes, if you cros thread your bolt you will strip the threads on the pan.
since you have fresh oil, clean you dran pan really good & drain your oil in the pan so you can reuse it. check your washer on the bolt, you will find it stuck & won't move unless you use a screw driver, that is normal. if you found threads on the bolt or on the pan, it means you cross threaded your bolt.

Back