Car Title question

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
I have the opportunity to buy a car that was put in a storage unit and the owner of the storage unit has not recieved payments for a long time. In the storage unit's owners contract, it states he has the right to seel all items in the unit if the payments are not made within a specific time frame. The owner will not contact the storage units owner and he wants to sell a car that is in the unit. What would I have to do to get a clean title on a car that has been taken this way?

I would contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles.

They will be able to tell you what you need to do.

I'm sure it probably differs from state to state.

Good luck
beerchug.gif

I'm not sure about this, but I think he needs to file a lien against the vehicle and pursue a court ruling to aquire a clear title, after which you can buy it from him.

What Red05 said! After he files a complaint or judgement, the sherriffs department will let him file a lien against the car, then the car and all other goods in the unit can be auctioned off.

Sweet, I will contact him and see what he has done so far. It is a little mg convertible that looks like it is great condition.

(Red05 @ Aug. 27 2007,16:05) I'm not sure about this, but I think he needs to file a lien against the vehicle and pursue a court ruling to aquire a clear title, after which you can buy it from him.
+1

Careful Fate, this process can take six months to a year. Its very similar to what we have to do at the shop for abandoned vehicles.

my advice:"the cheapest price is an expensive attorney".
i would talk to a lawyer b4 i released any funds to the
storage unit's owner. my .02

Back