Busa vzzr14......

delboy

God save the Queen.......
Donating Member
Registered
Here we have the latest road test by Superbike Magazine (UK). Can someone explain why the 1/4 mile times are the same  
rock.gif

Scan_Busa.GIF

I'd like to know how they got those accelleration numbers. I have seen Busa 0-100 times at 5.5 seconds, they have it at 6.27. That's a huge difference. They also have the Busa 1/4 mile time as 10.45 seconds @ 142 mph, while the accelleration table shows 11.59 seconds to 140. Not to mention the Busa can break into the 9s. The numbers for the zx13.5 appear to be more correct, making it look faster than the Busa. Something smells.

Superbikes magazine say "no quibble data logger" think I will have to quibble, will let you all know if I get a answer
biggrin.gif

And what is with the 176mph top speed? Was that in a mile or
rock.gif

edited post:
Never mind I see the distance now but still what was the deal with a 176mph top speed. Thats the slowest I have ever heard of .

<!--EDIT|bigoltool
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154458897 -->

Hi Guys and Gals here is the reply from Superbike Magazine.

jump9.gif

Hi Derek (and Hayabusa.org)

Thanks for your mail and kind words about the mag - we try hard and it's nice to get some feedback.

The speed testing is a fairly lengthily process where we try and get the best possible results for each bike. Each test is independent to the last one (so last year's equivalent may well be different) but all of these bikes were tested in equal conditions on the same morning, Friday the 9th of June to be precise.

Standing 1/4 runs can be separate to the top speed runs so although in theory every top speed run could obtain the fastest standing start, in practice the best one is often achieved separately. The best top speed run therefore might not produce the highest 0-60 or indeed 0-140mph. I don't know why this is the case, all I know is I ride the bikes as fast as I can in as machine-like fashion as I can.

The test format usually includes at least four top speed runs, six standing starts, five brake tests and one sixth gear top speed roll-on. Any more than this number tends to fry the clutches or brakes to the point of uselessness. If at any point I fluff a gear, get too much wheel spin or make a mistake I stop and do it again. That way we have a range of runs for the data logger to analyse and see which is the optimum.

You might well have seen better figures for a Busa, in fact I think I have done higher figures myself, but the weather conditions (and probably my 6foot/13 stone frame) can hinder the figures slightly.

I hope this helps? Honestly I cannot explain the discrepancy but I do trust speed testing is probably the most objective part of each test we do.

Best regards

Jon
Real World Editor
SuperBike Magazine

Tel: 020 8726 8443

HAVE YOU SEEN OUR WEBSITE? http://www.superbike.co.uk/

> From: Derek Dewey [mailto:Derek.Dewey@ekes-co.de]
Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:29 PM
To: Superbike Letters - IPC superbike_letters@ipcmedia.com>
Subject: ZZR13.5 v Busa v Beemer

Hi Guys,

First of all I would like to say that your magazine is the best British biking publication and the only one I buy.
I am not the type of guy who writes in to magazines often, think this is my third in 54 years, but something in the above speed test made me think. OK I admit to being a Busa owner and as you rightly say in the article that it generally feels dated, plus the brakes are sh#t. In the article you say the bikes are speed tested via no-quibble data logging, OK I am quibbling
rock.gif

the standing ¼ mile times:- ZZR13.5     10.45@ 140.27
                                      Busa             10.45@ 142.05 this makes the Busa faster
rock.gif

To me this can not be correct, as in the chart:-        ZZR13.5       10.48@ 140

Busa               11.59@ 140

The figures for the ZZR13.5 seem fine, but I have seen Busa figures higher
rock.gif

Now I am not saying that the figures have been designed to make the ZZR13.5 look faster, but can you explain the figures for me.

Please reply as the Hayabusa.org need an answer to this shoot out.

Best regards

Derek Dewey
Design Engineer
EKES Office,
Ludwig-Erhard-Ring 4,
D-15827 Bankenfelde-Mahlow
Germany
Tel : +49 33708 939043
Fax : +49 33708 939099

rock.gif

rock.gif

Back