BulletTrain

my $.02, It would seem that there should be more mention of other damage if the crack(s) were soley caused by wheelies gone wrong. I would think you would hear more about blown fork seals, etc, resulting from hard slam down's. What's weaker a frame member or rubber seals? I think there might be a little more to this story.
Just a thought, Chris

my $.02, It would seem that there should be more mention of other damage if the crack(s) were soley caused by wheelies gone wrong. I would think you would hear more about blown fork seals, etc, resulting from hard slam down's. What's weaker a frame member or rubber seals? I think there might be a little more to this story.
Just a thought, Chris
Oh yeah, I'm not discountin' it completely. I'm watchin' the frame closely. At the first sign of a crack or any type of metal stress and I'll be at my dealer raisin' fuggin' Hell. At the same time I'm not gonna panic either based solely on pics of ONE 10R with a cracked frame and an internet wide rumor spree. I'm takin' note of the possibility but I'm not takin' it as gospel that it's gonna be a widespread problem. Wouldn't be the first time someone caused a problem themself and made out like it was a flaw from the factory. Who knows? Maybe that 10 has been crashed and rebuilt.

I think I actually read a thread started by the person who took those two pics. If I remember correctly he was out ridin' and came across it parked somewhere. The rider of the cracked 10 wasn't around it. I think he was just checkin' out the 10, noticed the cracked frame and took a few pics. If that's the case the person who took the pics and got this whole thing started didn't have a clue what caused the crack. He simply saw a bike parked and snapped a few pics. Not a very reliable source on the actual cause of the crack huh?
rock.gif

That along with the fact that I've yet to see actual pics of any of the alleged other cracked frames is the reason I'm not too upset about this yet. Common sense is the reason I'm watchin' my frame closely though.
wink.gif

Blue Streak, BusaFever, CHILL... I've seen with my OWN TWO EYES a Busa here in Tampa 2003 with hairline cracksdown one side and up the other of the stearing stem... Diagnosis? Faulty welds? A few too many wheelies... But there were NO signs or history of an accident.

This kind of Cracking on the newer lighter bikes is just going to keep getting worse and worse though... Everything is being made as thin and as light as possible. ALL the latest crop of litre and Supersports are going to be showing more signs of metal fatigue. WE have front wheels failing, WHY? Light weight. Frames? Same thing... Kawasaki made the lightest 1000 in history, and are riding that edge between durability and strength. Yamaha, Suzuki, and all the rest are going to be right there with em... Lets wait and see... I bet this becomes more and more common, or the bikes start getting a little heavier.

Only thing that creeps me out about this Kawi pick, is that the crack isn't ON a seam... That's wierd...

Only thing that creeps me out about this Kawi pick, is that the crack isn't ON a seam...  That's wierd...
Yes sir, that's what I've been thinking. Of course, it could have been caused by a variety of things - a flaw or unseeable stress riser in that particular piece of metal even before manufacture, excessive engine vibration from an engine on the far side of balance tolerance specs, a hot spot caused by a heat spike during a nearby weld - who knows.

The guy's probably already gotten his bike replaced with a free extended warranty and his butt kissed over the whole deal though...

This kind of Cracking on the newer lighter bikes is just going to keep getting worse and worse though...  Everything is being made as thin and as light as possible.  ALL the latest crop of litre and Supersports are going to be showing more signs of metal fatigue.  WE have front wheels failing, WHY?  Light weight.  Frames?  Same thing...  Kawasaki made the lightest 1000 in history, and are riding that edge between durability and strength.  Yamaha, Suzuki, and all the rest are going to be right there with em...  Lets wait and see... I bet this becomes more and more common, or the bikes start getting a little heavier. [/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. This is why I'm glad I'm on the larger side of normal, so I won't be tempted by the current fashion trend of minibikes. I like having some meat on a bike because, for the vast majority of the riding I do, it makes for a more calm riding experience.

I can't imagine the factories going very much further in their quest for lightness, but then again I think I said the same thing a decade ago...

Steve

Back