andrews AFB PICS

Holy Cow! I was at the Fun-N-Sun Air Show in Lakeland, FL in '03 and got a Memphis(my hometown) Belle t-shirt and met with Col. Morgan and he autographed my shirt. Cool guy, I never heard he passed away. Shucks!
sad.gif

Thanks for sharing the pics, there are lots of planes I've personally worked on in your pics... Including one B-29 (But, alas not pictured here..)

3 years ago i worked on the plane in the very first pic... U-2 at Beale AFB in California. Yes back in the late 80's early 90's they used El Caminos to "chase" the plane down the runway. They switched to 5.0 Mustangs after that and they currently use Cameros and are in the process of swapping those out now too. I cant remember the new cars they are using but they arent your showroom floor types... A pilot drives them to "chase" the plane down the run way to tell the pilot that is flying the plane how low he is to the ground. The way the U-2 is designed, the pilot has almost no view of the ground as he is landing. Once he is about 3-5 feet above the ground he "stalls" the plane and it literally falls out of the air. The chase car also helps the pilot in the plane by telling him what wing is to low to the ground until he has slowed enough for the plane to fall over onto one wingtip and skid to a stop. At which time i would run out to the runway and lift the wing and put the wheels back in under the wing so that it could taxi back to the parking spot. I deployed a bunch of times after Sept 11th with these planes. Quite a remarkable aircraft that was designed back in the 60's as a "disposable" aircraft. I have also worked on F-15's and KC-135's. Lots of good stories and places i've been with those planes as well.

Do you remember when the SR 71's were there? i used to stay at boq at the end of the runway and watch em take off all day and night.....was'ent there real long at any given time but i will never forget those big blue flames shooting ou the back at night just awsome stuff!
bowdown.gif

The SR's were gone before i was stationed at Beale unfortunately. I've only gotten to see one SR fly in my 14 years in the Air Force. They were retired right about the time i joined. The only one i've seen fly was one they flew into Edwards for its last flight. They were going to make it a static display i believe. NASA has the only 2 left that are flying I believe.

looks like N.C. was in the house. A-10 & F-15. C130 should have been best in show LOL J/K

Skid, I hope you don't mind me adding to your great post. Here's one of LA's finest; dealer of the steel rain.
guns.gif

Eglin_4__Medium___2_.JPG

The BAD BOY. AC130 gunship also known as Spooky. You can run but you'll only die tired.

Eglin_32__Medium_.JPG

Cool pics. When I was stuck in KS for 2 weeks in the guard a B1B did 2 fly by's. One with wings in and one with wings in...THAT THING IS VERY VERY LOUD...but it was kick ARS. and then the A-10's were doing gun runs with the miles gear on our tracks. Again very cool. And the C-130 is deff best in show. I logged about 30+ jumps out of them. And a few out of C-141. Very very cool pics man. I wish Pope would have a good air show again like they used to be before the wars kicked off.
super.gif

hope you guys enjoyed the pics. more are on the way.

ks-waterbug--you got your A+P? whats your background? i've got my PPL but haven't really done anything with it lately. $$ goes quickly when it's $70/hr to go sightseeing
crazy.gif

un-caged--are you kidding man? post all your plane pics biatch
beerchug.gif

Back