Aftermarket wheels

OB_Nygie

Registered
Hi has anyone out there purchased aftermarket wheels? Carbon fibre or alloy.
If so does it make much differnce to the handling of the Busa?
Nygie

So far the list has several people get wheels. They do make a big change in the way the bike handles, turns easier, accelerates quicker, suspension does need adjusting to compensate for the weight loss.

Doen on the list so far:

Dymag - http://www.superbikeracing.com/
talk to Andrew.

- Sport Magnesium
- Custom Carbon

TechnoMagnesio - TAW Vechicle Concepts
talk to Ted Waibel

- SuperLight Magnesium

I was just looking at the Dymag Carbon wheels at the url listed above. My idea was to considerably reduce unsprung & rolling weight with carbon wheels. But Dymag states that the weight loss would "dramatically reduce gyro effect". I'm guessing that would negatively effect handling.

Is this right? Could I still do twisties, street ride with carbon wheels?

Do you guys/ladies have any thoughts?

carbon wheels dramatically reduce unsprung & rolling weight = can you say,
accelerates quicker

dramatically reduces gyroscopic effect = can you say,
turns in quicker
nuff said !

I purchased magnesium dymags. They do feel better. I feel the difference especially in curves. It turns quicker but very controllable. I noticed in straight line acceleration too, but takin the curves is what im interested in.

Like VegasDude, have magnesium dymags. Ditto his comments - faster acceleration, but most of all easier to turn quickly [for a 58" wheelbase, anyway], much less unsprung weight to get thrown upward by bumps, hence more stable handling. Ran it over some road whoops at 120 steady the other day, big difference from stock wheels.

Terra 1 you hit it right on the head, on roads that i have just ridden on with the new wheels were a lot smoother than before. I Didn't attribute this to the rims. Man, I'm telling you these rims make a big difference.........Thanks for the post terra 1, I thought I was going crazy. With the stock rims this one area of road was terrible, I just rode it for the first time since I put on the rims and it was smooth sailing, and I wondered what happened........

Defectron, you have two options on wheels with the RAM arm, Dymag(alum, mag, or Carbon) or Marchesini(magnesium).

RAM will sell you the Marchesini wheels at a very good price.

RAM magnesium products are cast at the Marchesini Foundry by the way.

If you opt for the Dymag you can purchase them from Andrew at Superbike Racing in Georgia.

A RAM arm takes a RAM spec wheel not a Ducati , Honda, or Triumph wheel.

If you need info on the RAM unit let me know and I should be able to help you.

Hemillard@snet.net

JeffW the PFM's are good for a three pound loss off the front wheel.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 18 October 1999).]

Best Cycle Parts

What's your price for a set of Dymag Carbon's for the Busa? Also Dymag Mags?

Thanx.

Vegas, learned about unsprung weight in an interesting way.

I used to live in Maui and sailboard alot. I was learning fast and going out in bigger wind and surf every day. One day I was sailing not far offshore and thrown all over the place -- just couldn't control the board, it was tailwalking all over the ocean.

When I came in exhausted, a local wandered over and said "Yo, bra, big wind, small board". I changed down and it became immediately apparent what he was talking about. The mass of my [large] board was being accelerated by the [large] waves and overwhelming the suspension [my legs], throwing me around like flotsam. Kinda like riding a 600 lb dirt bike.

It is, no doubt, a universal law of going- fast-on-the-planet-while-burdened-by-gravity.

did you guys have a hell of a time balacing them or was it just my set? i have alot of weights on them to get them to balance out with the rotors and all. i have the tx25 200 series tire on it.

Nygie & Lyle... I've got the Dymag Carbon Fiber/Magnesium combination wheels (carbon rim and mag spokes in Gold)(Black 'Busa). Purchased from Superbike Racing in GA. Kit included a gold sprocket to match the wheel spokes. I did it mostly for appearance sake... but they are lighter, aid acceleration and seem to handle more responsively. I've got no subjective proof however; it may be wishful thinking, in light of the amount of money spent! As a final note... I am very happy with the wheels and with the service I received from Andrew at Superbike Racing. Go for them! You'll stare at them for hours! And your friends will look on with envey.

[This message has been edited by Philo McGiffin (edited 19 October 1999).]

Back