2 Million Post Update

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
2 Million Post Milestone…….
Well guys we made it this far… What a journey it has been too. I will do my best to keep this as short as possible but it’s going to be hard for me to do.

Just another website…

For many years we were just another website on the Internet, nothing was really special about us. In 2000 – 2003 there really were not a lot of forums on the net like there are now but there was no shortage of Busa sites to visit. We had great members that stuck together and started riding together on weekends and then vacations and it all started to grow. There still isn’t anything special about the technology that we have on the site but the members definitely make up the difference. The past 2 months have brought on right at 600 new members each month and May is racking up the new registrations too. Lot’s of interest still out there for the Hayabusa.

Biggest Change of the site...

There is a tie for first place on this one.. We started out hosting the site from servers in my house, I had two T1’s coming in for bandwidth and seven clustered servers. When we were forced to collocate in 2006 it was a huge change for the group. I no longer had direct access to the hardware and it was more difficult and A LOT more expensive to outsource. The benefit was the bandwidth, we no longer had latency or slowness on the site.

The next issue would be when last August we transitioned to the new forum software. The forum that we used for almost 8 years was old and needed a face lift but it just wasn’t a good fit for what we had turned into. We moved to the new software and after a year of planning and work from the administrators and moderators we made the move to yet another new server and new forum software… Since August we have not experienced any downtime or slowness for our members.

What have we become….

I am proud and honored to be a part of this group. Collectively we are stronger than any one person could be as an individual. We lean on each other when we need to and we help out our friends when they need it. I am amazed at the generosity that the members show to each other and its inspiring to see it and refreshing to know that the caring spirit is from this site.

Where are we going?

As the site get’s busier and busier we become an increased target for things like spam, hacking and outsiders wanting to take advantage of a good thing. As these things become more prevalent we must counter act them. Lot’s of changes will be coming on the technology side, some you will notice some you will not. We are seeing more and more interest from advertisers wanting to be a part of the site but we are very picky on who we bring on.

What can you do?

What I need more than anything is for the members to keep taking care of the members. Keep a keen eye on people wanting to just stir up problems, if you see something that is out of place let a mod or admin know so we can take care of it. If your having problems let someone know so the folks on the site can listen and maybe talk to you about it… Go to the events in your area and meet people, get out there and live the oRg.

The person that posted the 2 million’th post will be receiving:

1. Gift certificate for $100.00 to the choice of any of our advertisers
2. Lanyard
3. Keychain
4. 4 x 4 oRg banner
5. New busa shirt of one of a new designs that is coming out.

I couldn’t be any happier with the topic of the post for 2 million. It shows the true spirit of the site and why we have been around for such a long time…

Here is the text of the post….

“Wow...talk about a surprise! Welcome back RSDâ€

Hayabusa.oRg - View Single Post - hey folks,what did I miss....

A member welcoming RSD back from his long time away…. The person that posted the 2 millionth post is RACERV…. Congrats John……

The 2 Millionth post was on 5-14-2009 since then you all have racked up 13,231 post which means that in 11 days you folks have posted about a thousand messages a day. The first million took 6 years, the second million took 3 years and if you keep up this pace it would take 2 years to hit 3 million.....

As you surf the net and find forums out there see now many have members as close as the oRg and see how many post they have. We have a tremendous amount of infomation and tons of personal knowledge of the mighty Hayabusa....

Congrats to you all...

CAp

Wow, what a site and what a day this is. Congrats to RacerV for being the winner, way to go John! I want to thank everyone for making this board what it is, family. :beerchug:

How fitting that the post was about welcoming back an old friend.

Great job Doug and congrats RacerV :thumbsup:

fantastic...lets keep the weekend rides going too!! sooooooooo anyone in nw pa lol

Thanks for all the hard work Cap and all the admins! I love this place.:thumbsup:

Racerv, the 2 million post man. :beerchug:

Since we're talking about goals, here's one for you: HardOCP has 8.4 million posts, 695,000 threads and 120,000 members. It's probably the busiest forum on the web to date. Congrats RacerV and keep those posts a-coming!

Since we're talking about goals, here's one for you: HardOCP has 8.4 million posts, 695,000 threads and 120,000 members. It's probably the busiest forum on the web to date. Congrats RacerV and keep those posts a-coming!
naw, they are not even in the top 25...

It is a massive undertaking to run a busy forum.. it can take half a dozen apache servers and a couple db servers if your site is ultra busy... not fun at all... Gotta give the guys credit that deal with the headaches :)

Largest Online Forum... (source: http://www.big-boards.com/ )
Forum :: Main Index | Gaia Online