What is happening to NY?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Sad to see what is happening to New York, from the judicial system, to policing, to officers getting shot, to random women punched in the face, to store robberies, to squatters claiming someone’s house? No longer safe on the subway, no longer safe walking, and then there are political opponents being prosecuted for ridiculous reasons. Migrants setting up camp on the streets.

Imagine going on vacation, coming home, and you have squatters living in your house. Nothing you can do about it, until the courts can hear the case. Once it is over, your house is wrecked.

Sadly, I have seen this movie before, in a country where I no longer live.

Have relatives there and not sure how they do it. Terrible traffic, rude people, crazy high cost of living, hours driving around after work to find parking for you car just to come back next morning and find it with broken windows, sick people masturbating in the subway while looking at a female they find attractive and the list goes on. Wife and I will be going in a few weeks because I miss my family, but 1 week at a time is all we can handle.

Sad to see what is happening to New York, from the judicial system, to policing, to officers getting shot, to random women punched in the face, to store robberies, to squatters claiming someone’s house? No longer safe on the subway, no longer safe walking, and then there are political opponents being prosecuted for ridiculous reasons. Migrants setting up camp on the streets.

Imagine going on vacation, coming home, and you have squatters living in your house. Nothing you can do about it, until the courts can hear the case. Once it is over, your house is wrecked.

Sadly, I have seen this movie before, in a country where I no longer live.

New Yorkers are quite fine with all that. If they weren't they'd vote differently

I don’t agree that nothing can be done. Noemsayin?
Your example doesn't add up in that the house was acquired via inheritance and sat empty. Granted the 30 day squatter law needs looked at (it needs to be closer to 6 months or better yet title in name), but back to your example, anybody that can afford to go on vacation for a month should be able to have the property checked in on during the absence. Wuzza's question bears substance.

Last edited:
New York certainly has had its ups and downs over its history, the movie Gangs of New York was an eye opener for this Kiwi…
Then I read the book “the Cross and the Switchblade” about Niki Cruz, president of the Mau Mau’s gang in the late 50’s early 60’s.
Biggest city I’ve been to is Sydney Australia, a lot different to NY.
It must be stressful to live in NY city.
So many cultures all in one big melting pot!
Not my idea of fun lol

Your example doesn't add up in that the house was acquired via inheritance and sat empty. Granted the 30 day squatter law needs looked at (it needs to be closer to 6 months or better yet title in name), but back to your example, anybody that can afford to go on vacation for a month should be able to have the property checked in on during the absence. Wuzza's question bears substance.
Squatting on someone elses property, especially a well kept residence should not be allowed in first world countries, period. It is sickening to see what is happening in our judicial system, this is simply a race towards becoming third world.

Germany

According to El Economista, eviction takes place 24 hours after the landlord knows about it and has reported it to the police. The German justice system imposes a one-year prison sentence, which could also include a fine. Sentences could go up to two years in cases involving several people or violence.

On the other hand, if, after eviction, the squatted property is in disrepair, the landlord is obliged to renovate it.

United Kingdom

In the UK, squatting is punishable by a maximum penalty of 51 weeks' imprisonment and fines of up to €5,700. Moreover, the police can enter the property to evict if they suspect squatting and do not require court authorisation. Landlords have two alternatives: they can make a claim for possession or fill in an "interim possession order" form. After serving it, squatters can be imprisoned if they do not vacate the property within 24 hours.

France

The French government has recently passed a new law. In France, squatting is an illegal act punishable by up to three years in prison and a fine of up to €45,000. Squatters must leave the property within 48 hours of receiving an eviction notice; if not, the landlord can notify the police, who are authorised to evict them immediately without needing a court ruling. After more time, the landlord reports the incident and enforces the eviction through a quick court process.

Where I come from squatting is burglary . I remember seeing homeless arrested for it in older buildings . Thats the issue with the North East and blue areas . Protect the wrong and penalize right . However this world is not getting better , just sicker by the day . Glad i'm on the downhill slope to be closer to God .

The squatter law needs addressed, no argument, but your links, especially the the highly political Fox report that included zero actual substance, are worthless. Something can be done, per Wuzza’s remark.
Links, plural?

For the record, one from CBS, one from Forbes, One from the NY Post and one from Fox.

CBS has a left lean bias.

NY Post with a slight right bias.

Forbes with a reasonably strong left bias.

And Fox with a very strong right bias.

Based on the above, I would say that provides a pretty neutral bias.

It is hard to believe that probably 50% of the public have no idea what the long-term effects of this broken system, immigration, crime, squatting, politicizing of the Judicial system and the budget deficit will eventually bring. Not only stateside, but the rest of the world is also losing faith in America as a stable democracy. As with you, many are not concerned, they carry on with their every daily life with no understanding where the current status, will eventually lead us. Probably the same reason we are ending up with Trump and Biden, both controversial candidates. People either don't care, do not realize the gravity of the situation, or are driven purely by emotion, void of reality.

As mentioned, I have seen this movie before, in a different country, the reality of the Fox news link, which you believe is totally unsubstantiated, mentions that around the 5:30 mark. You may deem that as unsubstantiated, I beg to differ, as I have experienced it in person.

This is the way it works for the typical empathy ridden Democrat: As long as it does not affect their lives personally, view criminals as poor deprived people with rights and deny hard working taxpayers fair treatment.

It would be a dang shame if the home the squatters were in burned to the ground.

As far as NY goes…the people there will just have to….

1711740944775.gif

Back