Learning about your bike

Taurusgod

Registered
Fellow Busa owners.
I purchased my bike in OCT 2010 and am not the mechanic at all. However I do want to learn about the bike and how to do simple maintenance. I also wanted to know what is my best approach in finding out what has been done to the bike from past owners? If you personally bought a used bike what would you do:

1) to find out what mods were done
2) learn how to do maintenance yourself? I don't even have the owner's manual for it.

I was so excited when I bought it I didn't even realize it had no inspection sticker. :lol:

Check the DIY section, lots of help there.

Previous mods....go through the bike after you download the manual and see whats different lol. Sorry but to be honest without asking the guy, you would just have to know the difference.

There is a link somewhere on here that allows you to download the manual.

Welcome to the .Org

Be careful doing your own maintenance on these bikes. Made of light weight materials and are easily ruined requiring repair / replacement and down time. Oil plugs get screwed all the time, someone just screwed up their rear axle. So be careful.

Hopefully there is a fellow orgster close to you that could help you with the maintenance part of it. If you post some pics of your bike we could more than likely name everything off for you other than the stuff underneath the plastics. Take a picture of under the hump or passenger seat which ever is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best advice that i could give is to watch for over tightening the oil drain plug. i stripped mine and had to pick up a new oil pan last summer. torque wrench would be a wise investment.

Thanks guys. I am going to take some photos today and post them . I appreacite the help. Also how do you know it is lowered and by how much, is there a part that I should be looking for. I know it is not a stock Busa height.

As far as mods go, take a bunch of pics (for our viewing pleasure) and upload them on here. Front, back, and sides, plus under the driver seat and hump, as I think somebody already mentioned. Most riders on here will be asble to tell you what mods have been done with the pics alone.

I'm in the same boat as you are with the maintenance portion. I downloaded a shop manual from somewhere...someone on here posted a link, and I'm sure will repost it for you. Changing the oil for me was cake, I'd like to learn how to clean and lube the chain as well. Everybody sort of has their own opinion on each task. Good Luck Bro!

PM me and i'll give you a link for the GENII service manual .pdf

I bought the Clymer Manual and was able to change the oil and rear brake pads.. I'm no mechanic either but between the manual and members helping me i was able to do it.. :thumbsup:

Back